Life is becoming normal again! The past few weeks we've been settling in and getting used to life in Boston. I'm beginning to realize that our honeymoon in South Korea was actually an important preparatory move. Some interesting similiarities between Boston and S. Korea:
1) Boston is the jaywalking capital of the world! If you start walking, the traffic WILL stop. In Korea, if you wanted to get anywhere, you had to take a leap of faith and just start walking.
2)Riding in a taxi cab in S. Korea is scary. Period. The lines on the road are pure decoration. Switch to Boston where the same attitude presides. Lines? What lines? I FIT here and that's all that matters.
3) Since we live in Allston (a section of Boston), we feel like we're in S. Korea all the time. Our neighborhood is, if not China-town, pretty darn close.
Our apartment situation worked out perfectly. We didn't have a place lined up before we came so the first two days here we lived in a hotel and hunted. We found a cheap place close to Harvard on Craigslist and got the apartment right away. It's a basement apartment, we have a driveway and there's no contract. Exactly what we wanted! Our landlady is a Cantonese-speaking lady from China who speaks maybe 15 words of English. She's very sweet, but there's a problem. She thinks we're Chinese too and speaks to us as though we can understand everything she's saying! She's so quiet upstairs that we sometimes forget she's even there so it really surprised us when we were both lying sick on the couch and she comes knocking on our door. She could hear us coughing from upstairs so she brought us some chinese food, an asian pear and Dr. Ping's ointment (think Vick's Vapor Rub). We thanked her and shut the door and then she comes down again, trying to explain to us that we shouldn't eat the ointment. Okay. Then as we get comfortable again she brings us some Chinese cookies. That was several days ago. This morning she knocked on our door and gave me more fruit and two more containers of Dr. Ping's and told me how to use it, but not as sweetly as last time. I think our coughing is driving her nuts.
Apart from that, Derrick's been going to class for two weeks and is LOVING his classes and I've been working as a nanny in Cambridge. I'll spare you details now, but it's worked out wonderfully and I've been enjoying it a lot. Sorry no pictures for now. We're terrible at remembering to take our camera places! More next time, promise.
5 comments:
Both of you- tall, blond, and blued eyed. Sure, I see the Chinese resemblence. Maybe that lady should take a dose of her own medicine!! Just kidding. That is really sweet.
Nanny McJenifee goes Boston style, aye;}Mabey you could use the Dr. Ping to grease the stairs, J/K -she sounds like a really sweet lady. I'm glad you're getting settled in :)
That's hilarious! I think you should go have a conversation with her in some random language, and see how she responds. Got to love those Boston drivers, too! If you ever come across a Jan (pronounced Yan) and Eliza Dawson at church, send them my love!!
you crack me up! I'm glad you didn't eat the strange Chinese ointment. =)
UHHHH HELLO!!! Let me get this straight- you guys live in ALLSTON??? I work there and live just north of Boston. I can't believe I didn't know this. I just found out you guys got married, now I find out you live here and you are having a baby! :-o
Post a Comment