Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A funny coincidence

Whenever people find out Felicity's name, they either make reference to the 90's sitcom starring Keri Russell or the American Girls Doll. I make a point of telling them I didn't name her after either, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to deny the latter especially considering the fact that I, 1. owned the Felicity doll growing up, 2. read the books to my daughter (yes, I know she can't understand them, but they're fun to read! 3. In one of these recent readings I found out that my Felicity actually has the same birthday as the doll in question. I swear I had no idea! We were reading the book, "Happy Birthday, Felicity" and I read these lines:

"Days passed, and soon it was April twentieth, the day before Felicity's birthday."

I almost choked! I promise, people, I did NOT get induced April 20th so my daughter would be born the 21st and share her birthday with a doll. Besides the birthday, there are some other pretty striking similiarities. Namely, the red hair and also the fact that both Felicitys would rather be outside than any other place.



I've been pretty open about the fact that I'm not going to buy Barbie Dolls for Felicity when she grows up. I think they're nasty. But, just like my sister, Becca, I would love to get my doll fixed up and give it to my daughter when she's older. American Girl Company is so awesome. The stories are educational, the main characters are true role models, and they allow little girls to want to be just that--little girls! Needless to say, I'm not upset about the coincidence, just a little surprised. They also have products that focus on skills; they'll include crafts from the girls' time periods and include cookbooks that have recipes you can try out. If you have no idea what I'm talking about and/or would like to learn more go check out their website americangirl.com.


This blog is dedicated to Becca and Nancy, my American Girl friends growing up.

3 comments:

Moore Minutes said...

That is a crazy coincidence!! I was reminded of AG when I heard your sweet baby's name too. I'm a HUGE AG fan!! I started collecting them when I was 8 and I have all the dolls that were made until year 2000. I have a chest full of their books, clothes, furniture, etc. I used to iron their clothes, haha. I wanted to save everything all nicely for someday when I had daughters...BUT :(...no girls here. I still have them all. They were the best toys I had while growing up and hold the most memories. Felicity was always a favorite! And although my oldest son isn't a girl, he just got done reading the collection of books from several of the dolls. Good stuff! Happy to see a blog post on them! :) :)

And again...TOO CRAZY about those birthdays!

Becca said...

Wow, that is a weird coincidence! When she gets older (your daughter) Felicity will love everything that she and her doll have in common! I had some friends back in Seattle who were really into education and such and they said the AG dolls were for the smart kids. I agree! :)

Nancy said...

That is SO awesome. I can just picture the look on your face as you read that line...total SHOCK! Such a fun coincidence though! I have sooo many fun memories playing with those dolls! I remeber Molly was kinda "bossy" sometimes. ;) It seems like we would spend so long setting up all the furniture and stuff that we would just be starting to play and I'd have to go home.