If you've been within 30 yards of my house in the past few days chances are you have an idea of why I'm more than just a little unhappy at the moment.
BYU has decided to "streamline" the Women's Research Institute (WRI)
and reorganize it's Women's Studies minor.
Though the university has justified the decision by claiming
that it will save funds and "expand resources" for
research pertaining to women in the future
many students, including myself, are upset by the decision.
The WRI is a symbol and an intellectual circle.
By separating the researchers into their respective fields,
BYU has lessened the power and legitimacy of
the research being done by this group of
thoughtful, intelligent women.
Through this move, BYU seems to have taken a stand
that says women's issues aren't one of their highest priorities.
Rather than think this is due to sexism, I prefer
to assume that such a decision was made out of ignorance
and thoughtlessness.
That' s why I stand with a group of students petitioning this decision.
I understand that though this is, undoubtedly, a time of financial
strain for the University's administrators, I also feel that
a Women's Council should take the place of the old WRI
in order to ensure that women's issues retain a meaningful
position on campus.
Those of you who oppose this decision are welcome to join the Facebook group
Save BYU Women's Research Institute!
To know more you are also welcome to follow the link below:
2 comments:
Great cause, Jenn. This closure really sends a bad message. You'd think they would be more sensitive to the PR implications. I hope that you are successful.
Ben
I know, right? Actually, the message they're sending is rather embarrassing. I hope they'll at least reconsider. By the way, Jeffrey R. Holland, in collaboration with Dallin H. Oaks, is the one that instituted the WRI. This, in addition to his other administrative decisions, makes me think he really was the best BYU president ever. Thanks for your support!
Post a Comment