I have several posts awaiting 'publication', but I thought I'd give this one preference because it will be fast. Something I always loved about my dad growing up is the way he would walk to and from work. He probably only drove a handful of times. Mostly he did it for exercise, but I also think it was his "quiet time". Every time I watched for my dad to come around the bend, he did so with some kind of reading in his hand. I sort of picked up the habit too because it helped the time pass by so much more quickly as I walked to school. I was mocked a bit for it, but that didn't keep me from doing it. Besides, I did (and still do) think it takes a certain amount of talent to keep your nose in a book and avoid running into things, a talent I'm rather proud of.

This summer I enjoyed riding my bike to school because it cut down on time, but this week I've revisited my old habit and have been shocked by how much reading material I can cover in the two 15-20 minute walks to class and back. I finished
Song of Solomon much more quickly than I had anticipated and now I'm dedicating my walks to a bit of fun reading,
Whatever It Takes.
So this post is for you, Dad, but also for all those nerds who just like to keep their nose in a book.
3 comments:
Now you need to take it to the next level and become skilled at riding your bike while reading like Buzzy =)
Wow, now THAT is talent! :)
Neal also loves to walk and read. Me? Way too klutzy to attempt it...broken both my ankles 2 or 3 times without doing it, I don't want to think about what else would befall me.
Post a Comment