Tuesday, June 28, 2011

So Many Balls in the Air




One friend of mine in particular has been very interested in getting regular updates on the internship and I haven't been very forthcoming. For this I am sorry, Lindsay.

This will be an update of sorts, but mostly I just feel like moaning a bit about how stressed out I feel right now.

In terms of the internship, things couldn't be going much better. We started recruiting for our next wave of focus groups last week and we have 14 consent forms back. We've been returning to the school every day (except Fridays. This is summer school after all) and reminding/bribing the students to get them in. Our goal is to match what we did before school got out in May, which means about 25 participants or 5 focus groups. I'm feeling very hopeful that we will meet this goal. Transcription for our first wave of focus groups is almost done on my part. Admittedly, I have been very slow about this. This week my goal is to do my final run-through and then print them off for handcoding so I can save myself a buttload of work this August.

We also have some exciting things in the works in terms of presenting our findings on a state level, but this is just a possibility so I won't go into too much detail here. Maybe tomorrow...?

In terms of life--meh. Lissie has been sick this week and just not her usual self. Everything is "no!" that is usually "yes". No, she doesn't want to go outside. No she doesn't want to color. No she doesn't want to do anything fun like go on a walk or help me water the garden. I know she's just sick, but sometimes this irrational fear grips me that this phase of moping around and wanting to watch Dora the Explorer all day isn't a phase after all. My daughter has been taken over by an indolent body-snatcher.

Meanwhile Derrick is going through a stressful time right now and it's been really hard not being able to be there for him as much as I'd like to be. I think the separation is obviously getting to both of us, and yes, it's true that there is light at the end of the tunnel (only three more weeks to go!), but it's no secret that we're better when we're together.

So that's the update, and it's not too upbeat. I'm confident I'll feel better tomorrow, but right now I'm tired and grouchy and wishing I could not have so many balls up in the air.

3 comments:

Kerry said...

Good luck getting the 25. Of course you should keep us updated on the results also. I'm glad the family will be reunited again soon. When you talked about an indolent body snatcher, my filled in the part after indolent with teenager. Funny. Hope she feels better soon!

Abby Killam said...

Hang in there. Feeling so overwhelmed can make anyone down in the grumps. You really are holding so many balls in the air all by yourself. Not sure I could do that without Mike there. Reward yourself....

Nancy said...

You gotta watch out for those indolent body snatchers. ;) I hear there are quite a few on the loose in Page. You are amazing Jen and set so many awesome goals on a daily, weekly, and lifelong basis -I only hope to be more like you! You are my most interesting friend and I'm always fascinated with what you are up to.