Everyone needs a plan B, right? Whenever I've thought about not getting into Master's programs my mind draws a blank and I feel like I have no other option than to feel utterly at a loss for happiness. I hope this is hyperbole should this actually take place.
-
Should this happen, and there is no other explanation than an appallingly low math score on the GRE, I came up with a plan for next year.
-
It's called, wait for it... The Year of Living Mathematically. Ta da!
-
Simply, this means I would eat, drink and sleep math (figuratively, of course) during my spare time for an entire year. I think it would take a year, at minimum, to overcome my phobia.
-
This plan would entail reading math novels (yes, there actually are such things), biographies about mathemeticians with a special emphasis on female math geniuses, watching t.v. shows and movies about math, auditing math classes, talking to tutors and professors, memorizing times tables, ditching the calcluator, going on khan academy daily, and basically looking for every and any opportunity to insert math into my day somehow. Oh, and I'd blog about it. How original, huh?
-
If math is what keeps me from going to grad school, then I'd best come up with a plan of attack, right?
7 comments:
Hey, that sounds fun! I want to do that too!! No seriously, there is one thing I know...you have a passion for learning and a desire to go to grad school and do great things, and you're ALREADY in the midst of doing one of those great things (I want to keep reminding you that the project you're doing as an UNDERGRAD is really atypical and totally graduate-level type work!) and one way or another, I know it's gonna happen. You're bright, resourceful, and passionate and even if the GRE math score is a setback (which it may or may not be), I have no doubt, you'll get where you want to go.
P.S. But seriously, I also want to live mathematically for year.
You're going to get into a great Masters program this year -no worries. Trust me. Heavenly Father isn't going to make you live math for a year. Now don't worry your pretty (super genius) head anymore. ;)
As fun as that sounds, I hope you get in and don't have to execute your plan B of living mathematically for a year! Good luck Jen!
You've got such a good attitude about it! can't say I'd have the same motivation. Then again, I might be saying something different when my time comes around for the GRE. I too hate math and I'm terrrrible at it. The last time I took a math class was in high school. Guess I should brush up on some math myself, huh?
Jen - you crack me up, although living mathematically would be an interesting thing to see blogged.
Honestly I absolutely dreaded math in High School - I even failed it twice. Now that I have redone it all through the college system it is not nearly as intimidating and even *gasp* makes sense. I went from being the person who always got an F on tests to the person who could solve the hardest problems in my college class. I guess what I am hoping to portray is that if I did it - you can too!
I shocked myself by turning into that person who would rather do my math homework than write a paper any day. There is hope!
Good luck and remember that fear is your biggest enemy!
That's the spirit! But I agree with everyone else--I don't think that you'll need to use Plan B. I believe you'll have no problem getting into the grad programs you want. Honestly.
Post a Comment