Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Of Pleasures and Pavlovas

Unexpected pleasures are the best.

We are having some family/friends over for dinner tonight and I decided to look up the recipe for a Chocolate Raspberry Pavlova in Nigella Lawson's book Forever Summer. I was prepared to substitute the wheat with a gluten-free flour alternative I have stored in my freezer (since half of the would-be diners are gluten-intolerant), when I suddenly realized it is naturally wheat-free. We are talking egg whites, sugar, cocoa and vinegar. Blessed day!

This might seem trivial-mundane even-to some of you, but chancing upon these types of recipes makes me lighthearted for at least an hour or two.

I hope you experience an unexpected pleasure today.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Every time I look in my storage room it makes me happy. It seems like it's magical. Every time I'm out of something I think, "Well I'll just look down there even though I'm sure I don't have any of that" and whala! Just what I need is sitting on the shelf. I get an excited tingly feeling before I open the door, like it's Christmas eve or something. And it's not well stocked either. Most of the shelves are empty and I have 2 months worth of basics at best. Glad you have simple pleasures that give you delight as well!