Monday, February 13, 2012

love notes to life

In this post I will introduce you to a new spin on Valentine's Day decorating; it's called, as you may have surmised from the title of this post, love notes to life.

As I contemplated decorating for Valentine's Day (and I've begun to appreciate how decorating plays into celebrating, believe it or not) I thought about the traditional use of pink and red construction paper to make the cut-out hearts that my friend Lindsay so cleverly suggested we make as a special craft. But I couldn't bring myself to buy any. I thought instead about what I did have on hand that we could use, which ended up being read copies of The New York Times waiting to be dumped in the recycle bin.

I perused the pictures and decided that instead of focusing on hearts and an abstract, decorative sense of the word love, I could use these valentine's to capture visually what it is about life I love. And I surprised myself by actually having fun while I did this project with a little of Lissie's help:






To be a bit more clear, some of these pictures capture things that make me happy, things that inspire me or just give me a sense of awe about life:

Having a visual reminder of the awe of life is a great way to celebrate, don't you think?

6 comments:

Krisanne said...

Simple and lovely. The best kind of Valentine.

alisa fawn said...

I love this idea. And your whole celebration series.

llcall said...

Great idea...almost as good as mine ;) No, seriously, this is a cool idea and some day I will steal it, I'm sure. And I love how you are chronicling your one-word theme. It's so fun!!

Nancy said...

I too have begun to appreciate the role decorations can play in celebrating. I've usually could care less about table setting/ dish decor. Paper plate or china it's all the same to me. But somehow I've acquired two heart shapes plates, and this month it's been fun to fill them with sweet baked treats and have them sitting on the counter for Edward and Brian to help themselves. I think you are such a fun Mom and I bet Lissie loved doing this craft!

Austin said...

I totally did this for valentine's day last year, and I loved it! I used old magazines I had laying around. So nice.

Austin said...

also, i totally identify with the comment about appreciating decorating. Took me awhile, but I'm there too.