February has passed successfully and we celebrated Valentine's Day and Black History month, though Gutenberg was a bust this year, as Derrick and Lissie were out of town and I was on campus all day.
So, March. To be honest, I don't really feel much like celebrating this month, at least right now. Lissie has been ill all week, and I spent last night battling the worst chills and body aches I've ever had. Dramatically, it feels like nearly every aspect of my life is hanging by a fragile thread. My maternal grandma fell two days ago and isn't doing well. Doctors are saying, most recently, that they expect her to pass away within the next few weeks. sigh.
Even though this month may be bleak I'm still determined that it won't pass entirely uncelebrated. It is Women's History Month, after all, and I simply can't pass up any opportunity to celebrate womanhood. Slotted for this month is a local performance of The Vagina Monologues, and The Porch, where one of my feminist role-models will be telling her story. Sorry folks, I don't do St. Patty's Day. Mostly, I would like to be open to whatever comes our way in terms of celebrating, even if that means celebrating my grandmother's long, well-lived life.
On a somewhat-related sidenote, have you ever seen the movie Yes Man? It didn't win any Academy awards (for good reason), but something I'm learning about celebrating is that it is often an act of saying yes. Too often I find myself saying no. Since starting this theme of the year, I've discovered that I'm much more prone to say yes. Yes, I will embrace this moment. Yes, I will embrace this opportunity. Yes, I will Carpe Diem this day, because I honestly don't know how many more I have. So please check out one of my yes moments, soon to be posted, in the form of a friend's Mother's blessing.
4 comments:
I"m sorry this has been a rough couple of weeks for you. Is it possible to celebrate the choice you have to not celebrate? ;)
I would love to see the Vagina Monologues. Where is it being performed?
UVU. I'll forward the info on to you.
I'm sorry about your Grandma Jen. My Mom told me she hasn't been doing to well and I was so sad to hear that. I saw pics of your "Mother's blessing" on FB and am intrigued to learn more. I'm all for anything where I can get people to give me foot massages ;)
I've been thinking of how I want to celebrate the generic holidays. My Mom had all these decorations she'd tole-painted that she'd change out every month. I like how you and Becca carry on the Christmas tablecloth tradition. So far for my family, I have the most ideas of what I'd like to do for St. Patrick's Day! A leprechaun will visit our house and turn the milk green, leave tiny footprints on the walls, paper mustaches on family pictures, etc. He may leave behind a box of lucky charms, some choc gold coins, and clues to his hidden treasure. We may set out traps the night before to try and catch him. (think bunny trap, only a tiny pot of gold instead of a carrot.) I've never given a crap about St. Patty' Day before, this idea just sounded fun and got me excited!
I'm sorry to hear about your grandma. She's such a sweetheart. Keep me updated on how she's doing, ok? I hope this is a good month for you. I have a few good things planned. I'm chopping off my hair next week and I'm planning on going to Writing for Charity the next week (want to come?). Good luck with the month!
Post a Comment