Every
day, I hear the call to prayer, or adhan,
at about 4 a.m., followed by the actual prayer. Verses of the Qur’an in Arabic are
sung in a mystically beautiful way that have inadvertently begun to serve as my
inner clock. I turn over, and go back to
sleep. During the work-week, Sunday to Thursday, I am awakened by the daily
assembly at the boys school just a stone’s throw away from our apartment. I often smile to myself to imagine other
Americans hearing the assembly for the first time, remembering how surprised I
was by what seemed to me violently spoken recitations by what I imagined to be
the schoolmaster, and the peppy response cries of the schoolboys.
Then, breakfast. Usually some flavored yogurt, so creamy that
very little sugar is required to flavor or sweeten it. Or maybe some pita bread
with labaneh spread on top. Or maybe some fresh boiled eggs with some olive oil
on the side.
“Getting ready” is done without a shower, unless it’s
Sunday. Once a week, the city releases
enough water for everyone to get through the week (unless you’re careless) to
water tanks sitting on the roof of our apartment. If you run out, you have to
pay 25JD (about $30 US) for water trucks to replenish your supply. That’s a lot
of money. So we are careful. We learned
yesterday from a friend that on water day the city keeps the water running, so
this is cleaning day for Jordanians. We drink bottled water.
An average day includes at least one visit to somewhere new.
Yesterday, Rainbow Street, where the young Jordanian hipsters tend to
congregate and where delightful new-age shops abound. Fruit salad, Jordanian
pizza, and a great view of the city served as highlights. Frequently you’ll
hear a magnanimous “Welcome to JORdan!” always uttered in the same way by
enthusiastic Arabs. Today we’ll visit
the Citadel, or the old Roman ruins. Who knows where else the day will take us?
There are a number of things that happen every day: I kick
myself for not speaking Arabic. That one happens multiple times a day. Call to
prayer, five times a day, every day. An email to and from Derrick. Friendly
encounters with locals who help with said non-existing Arabic. Kites appearing
on the evening skyline, steered by unseen fliers. Early evening reveals the
lighthouse effect of every mosque tower, which has a green light beaming from
its top. I’ve found that I view these mosques as tiny lighthouses, beckoning to
seafarers bobbing just offshore. They indicate a safe harbor, a place of
sanctuary, even for those of us who make port elsewhere.
3 comments:
It sounds like a lovely experience -- minus the once-a-week showering ;) (No, I'm sure that's all part of it and makes you realize the privilege we constantly live in -- I just know I would struggle with that mightily.) I want to hear more about the work...does that come in when you visit these different areas? Do you have an office or just work out of your apartment and then out in the field?
Very poetic! At first I was bummed there weren't any pictures, but you describe things so well I don't even need them. I hope you are enjoying yourself and not getting too homesick.
Lovely. I am glad you are soaking up the details, and sharing them with us.
p.s. I still want to see pictures
Post a Comment