Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Lately

Lately, I should be doing a writing assignment.  Yet after a chat with my cousin (hi lovely cousin!) I find myself here, trying to force some disjointed thoughts into a comprehensible blog post and failing miserably at it. This is just going to have be an update at best and brain purge at worst.

 
This is our building. I love how it looks from the outside. In fact, I love almost all of the architecture in and around Columbia. Our building also has an equipped playroom in the basement where all the residents and their mini-me's are welcome to play.  Lissie and I went there today and I met a Guatemalan nanny and her charge. She didn't seem overly comfortable speaking English, so I broke out my rusty Spanish. True, I had forgotten a few words, like ningun and tampoco, but overall I began to congratulate myself on how much I'd held onto.  Then she asked me how long my husband and I had been together. I told her four years.  Then remembering that I had told her moments before that Lissie is three and a half, I revised it by saying, four and half years. Then, not content with leaving well enough alone, I tried to tell her that we got pregnant very soon after we got married. But I couldn't say it right. She thought I was telling her that I gave birth soon after we got married. Finally she helped me out by reminding me that to get pregnant is a reflexive verb, but even then I couldn't remember how it worked exactly.  A small error which could change the meaning from , "I got pregnant" to "I impregnated myself".  Yeesh. 

Semantics aside, I'm doing well. Derrick's doing well. In fact, we're all doing well. We've survived the initial craziness at the beginning of every semester. Sunday night we sat down and wrote a ridiculously detailed chart outlining study hours, class times, meal times, bed times, family times, divvying up hours so we both get what we need to done while still having a parental unit take care of Lissie. I feel less stressed already. Being anal has its payoffs. And, happily, Derrick and I are both feeling great about our classes and programs thus far.  

I know this is unlike me, but the title of my post reminded me of a product line I absolutely love right now. A friend of a friend (or rather, a friend of my brother-in-law; but hey, I also cut his hair once, babysat his son, and listened to him and my brother-in-law play in their band, so I can claim him as a friend too, right?) designs for Lately, Lily and I am obsessed with his creations. Student loans will have to wait until I'm done decking Lissie out in this stuff. (I'm kidding)

3 comments:

Ben said...

Enjoying these posts, Jen. And Micah will appreciate the shout out to Lately Lily. I look forward to when they start making clothes Izzy's size.

Ben said...

I should add that I have a fantasy about simplifying here in Iowa (this is in reference to more recent post). Practically speaking, it shouldn't be that hard. Farmland and farmhouses are affordable. You can grow your own everything. Our reservation is the lack of social life for the kids. Ideally, we could hand pick all of our favorite people and persuade them start a commune out on the prairie not too far from town.

Jen said...

Oh, Ben. I think we could easily be persuaded.