A revelation to those reading this blog: I am a big nerd. As in, I freaking love Star Wars; [(the old school Star Wars, of course). Always have, always will. When I was in Middle School, Princess Leia in The Empire Strikes Back was my role model in life and she still kinda is] As in, I think few things in life would be cooler than being a Chess Grand Master; As in, I prefer reading a good book to almost any other activity in life. And this brings me to the crux of this post.
Could anything be more hopelessly nerdy than carefully accessorizing one's reading? Probably not, (don't mock, fools) but I've spent at least two to three precious hours creating bookmarks that would coordinate aesthetically to my library.
My Reading Accessory style has evolved over time; even perhaps become increasingly refined and slightly more mature. My Reading Accessory creation methods have grown a touch more sophisticated and detail-oriented. And, to answer your question before it is even asked, yes. Of course I've thought about dropping out to dedicate myself to my art full time. But I fear my work might be a little ahead of its time. C'est la vie.
Exhibit A:
My initial attempts were clumsy, yet sincere.
The inspiration for this work was a series of rug photos in Real Simple magazine.
Exhibit B:
At times I like to challenge myself by admitting that simple event tickets
have an aesthetic appeal and functionality all their own. What say you?
Exhibit C and D:
An artistic period I will always be fond of, I once scoured every back edition of Real Simple I had to find graphic art that I loved. Again, the workmanship was a tad shoddy, but I've managed to hold onto and continually use these bookmarks despite that. It's really not unlike using a vintage wine press to give artisanal validity to your enterprise.
Exhibit E:
My latest work, I am proud to have incorporated the same artistic vision I've always had with more fastidious workmanship. The inspiration for this series was a lineup of wallpapers in, you guessed it, Real Simple. I really find that paring the right bookmark with the right book truly enhances the reading experience.
As always, happy reading. Namaste.





5 comments:
Just to clarify, did you have me as your doula because of my Star Wars tattoo and Dewey inspired home library organization?
Ginny, I knew the moment I saw both that you would help bring the child in my womb forth with the greatest of ease!
You could definitely become a chess grand master. Izzy and Theo are both in the chess club at school and they're kicking everyone's trash.
I didn't know Princess Leia was your idol??
This post was so funny...in that I also select from a collection of bookmarks which one fits the book best. My collection of bookmarks: Boba Fett, Darth Vader, Obi-Wan Kenobi, R2D2, Leia, etc. We are kindred spirits :)
I like using thank-you cards I've received from people as bookmarks. They're pretty, and they say nice things about me :)
Post a Comment