Friday, November 30, 2012

Art

When I tell people who aren't Mormon that Mormons take for granted that God is an embodied Woman (married to an embodied Man), I'm suddenly reminded of how very Pagan Mormons are and how very cool that is. Unfortunately, Mormons have barely scratched the surface of what this means and who She is, and historically haven't been too interested in delving deeper. Several BYU scholars have remarked at this oddity, and I couldn't more emphatically recommend that everyone read this review on their research. 

Because of many of the points in this article Mormons, despite their theological makeup, have been reticent to artistically imagine Mother God and to me this is a real shame.  However, female deity is hardly a new idea. In fact, it's one of the oldest ideas out there. Check it out

And so, lucky lucky me, I get to see how others have filled in the gap. Welcome to The Met, house of depictions of Mother God and Her daughters. 










Today I'm grateful for the belief I have in a Mother in Heaven who is mindful of Her daughters and sons. And for those courageous enough to try to bring her to life in the minds and hearts of others.

4 comments:

Austin said...

the BEST.

neal call said...

Enjoyed thinking about the ideas you raised here. I'm in your camp.

I wonder if explaining that our female deity has octopus legs would be any more shocking to people than Joseph Smith finding golden scriptures in a hill. Can't decide whether I think said legs would be way cool or a little too creepy.

Jaimie said...

I want to spend a day with you. That is all.

Kjell Crowe said...

i love this.
I love you.
You're so cool.
It's interesting, I don't think about Heavenly Mother often, but this post made me want to think about her more. I love knowing that there is a Heavenly Mother.