Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Why I wear pants to church

I don't do it to be controversial. Some days I just don't feel like wearing a skirt or dress. Some days it's cold outside. Some days I'm helping with the Primary program and it seems like a hassle to keep my dress down while holding a kid on my lap. Some days it seems like a hassle to keep my dress from riding up while I hold my own kid on my lap.

Some days I think too much is made of what we wear, period.

Some days I like to tell people that the church actually made an official statement looong ago about it being no biggie for women to wear pants to church

Other days I think we take too seriously our cultural mores about dress. I'd like men to have more freedom to wear kilts or other cultural clothing that consists of something other than slacks to church and I'd like more women to know that it's okay to wear slacks to church. For me this isn't an issue of equality, which issue I take very seriously. Being able to dress like men, to me, is a pretty weird indicator for equality. I've read way too much feminist theory to fall for this one again. Does permitting women to wear pants to church equal more freedom and choice in dress? Yes. Does it indicate equality? No.

Normally it's easy for me to support my fellow MoFems. But the Wear Pants to Church Day group discussion is driving me crazy. In essence, I support what these fellow MoFems are trying to do: create more breathing room around cultural dress and make sure women who wear pants feel supported and less judged. But I haven't been able to understand or get behind the way it's been framed. I'll still wear pants to church to show support of my sisters who need it, but I don't think I'll be officially joining this particular group.

Your thoughts?

Wearing my Sunday best:

13 comments:

Kjell Crowe said...

you rock. period.
I love that you're doing this and totally want to start doing this.
I don't mind wearing dresses and skirts to church though. I think it's because of what I wear during the week: workout clothes/trainer clothes so it's fun for me to get a little girly.
You look awesome.

Christa said...

I love this. Wonderfully articulated and thought out. Mind if I share?

Jen said...

You know I don't.

Jen said...

Right on, Kjell. Right on.

ginger said...

I wear slacks frequently, but you already know this about me. I've never felt like anyone had an issue with it, but maybe that'd because they were too hung up on the tattoos to notice the pants (if they only knew how many more tats a skirt would show)!

Anyhow, I'm really commenting to let you know that a guy in our ward wears a kilt.

jgirl said...

I love it Jen! I enjoy wearing dresses to church (mostly because I HAVE to wear jeans for work) but, for several years growing up I wore a split skirt (big legged pants) and even had a really cute jumpsuit (it was the 90's, leave me alone) because I was more comfortable that way. Keep it up!

Michelle Swindler Jones said...

I didn't feel comfortable wearing slacks to church in Utah, but since we've lived in Wisconsin, I've done it several times, and people don't even blink at it (except Ty).

I would LOVE that quote/statement from the church long ago about pants. Do you know the reference? I'd like to use it next time my husband gives me grief when I want to wear slacks. :o)

Jaimie said...

What I loved about Hawaii, is that our Polynesian brothers wore sulus, and it wasn't even anything to think twice about. I remember sometimes while living in rexburg, girls would wear pants UNDER their skirts, which was smart in those wintery months, but kinda funny now that I think of it that they didn't just not wear the skirt. I don't think I'm confident enough to pull it off, but maybe someday when I have thicker skin and/or have children, I'll change my mind :)

Unknown said...

I couldn't find the wear a kilt to church day group to join, links?:)

Jen said...

Dear unknown,

unfortunately, no links! But as you probably surmised from my post, I would most likely support such a group forming. I'd be happy to see more kilt-wearers in my own congregation :)

Unknown said...

I had no idea that it isn't "required" for women to wear skirts to church meetings. I would love to wear pants some days. And Michelle, the link is in her post where it says "pants to church".

Nancy said...

There is a gentleman from Germany in our ward who frequently wears a kiltish looking skirt to church. I love it!
I have to say that I think women wearing dress pants to church is a great idea, but for a somewhat different reason. I think we may have differing views when it comes to modesty issues, but so many chicks in my ward wear barely long enough skirts with slits up the side that show their garments. Pants would solve that issue.
Reese's nursery leader is the sweetest hispanic lady. She frequently wears a nose piercing, a huge cross necklace, and strechy pants under her mini skirt with sky high heels. I love her to pieces. I love you too!

Benito said...

I can't really see the slacks...retake maybe?