Time is ticking by, and Boston is coming ever nearer. We still don't have a place to live (ack!), I don't have a job lined up for when we go (eek!), but gas prices are going down just in time for the long drive ahead of us. So, you may ask, what have we been doing with out time this summer? Derrick has been busy, as usual with his part-time research job at the Air Force and his other part-time research job at St. Joseph's Hospital. Last week, Derrick was in Washington D.C. for 4 days and attended an educational research seminar at the Pentagon. He and Dr. Andrews presented the research they've been working on. He had a great time, saw lots of Memorials and was surprised by how enormous the Pentagon really is.
I, however, have been taking a Spanish Class at Mesa Community College, which helps the time pass nicely. The class finishes August 7th and then I'll be able to transfer the language credits to BYU. Other than that, I've had my nose in plenty of books. In fact, that's pretty much the only thing I have to show for my time this summer besides my spanish class.

My list of recent reads:
- Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte
- Brave New World by Aldous Huxley*
- A Circle of Quiet by Madeleine L'Engle
- Anne Frank: Diary of a Young Girl*
- Twilight by Stephanie Myers
- Princess Academy by Shannon Hale
- Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine*
- Writing Magic by Gail Carson Levine
- Writing Fiction by Janet Burroway

- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho*
- The Giver by Lois Lowry*
- Number the Stars by Lois Lowry*
- Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry
- Mathilda by Roald Dahl
- The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman*
- An Acceptable Time by Madeleine L'Engle
- Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell
- Isaac Newton by Walter Isaacson
- Belle Prater's Boy by Ruth White
Now reading: The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro*Upcoming Books: Watership Down by Richard Adams, Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson and An Old-Fashioned Girl by Louisa May Alcott, Villette by Charlotte Bronte.
*Indicates highly recommended.
4 comments:
Love the book recommendations. I'm always looking for a good read, although I only seem to be able to fit in a page here and there, at this stage of my life. I appreciate knowing what to look for next, though!
Wow I wish I could read as well as you can. How come I am not on your list of blogs? It is fun to see what you are up too!xvcur
Geez Jen, 20 books! Is that all? I read that many on MY way home from this thing I went to where I had to share some biomolecular transplant research I've been working on. Strange. You two are getting too smart for us idiots. Just kidding. Glad you're staying busy.
That really is a lot of books. I want to talk to you about some of the books that really recommend. We'll see if I can convince you otherwise on one of them. I really do trust your opinion more than my own though.
Post a Comment