Thursday, April 16, 2009

Nanny no more...

Starting September 2008 I went to work for the Jobin-Leeds family of Cambridge, MA. I had contacted them as early as April after finding their ad posted on Craigslist and went to work for them straightaway after moving here. I think we moved into our apartment on Tuesday and I started work on Thursday. I hadn't yet acclimatized to driving in Boston, so the immediacy of the job, though much needed, was still a little daunting (driving through Harvard Square can intimidate even the most aggressive driver).

The Jobin-Leeds are a Jewish family--educated, well-traveled and very political!--with three children. I couldn't have been luckier to find them. The pay was great (compared to Western standards), the hours wonderful, and the family so supportive especially during the later stages of my pregnancy. As time ticked away, we knew we'd be saying goodbye soon, so the last night of work I made my authentic Mexican taquitos for dinner, Derrick came, and we enjoyed a nice evening together. They are a normally a very healthy family, so I knew the greasy departure from our regular meal fare would leave me forever enshrined in the hearts of their children, especially their 12 yr. old boy. To respect their privacy, I won't be including the children's names in the blog post.

After dinner, the Jobin-Leeds presented me with gifts! Above you can see the youngest, who'd made Felicity and me matching necklaces. Since her and I had spent the most time together, I made her favorite treat, BROWNIES!, to soften the parting blow. Below, the family presented me with a photobook for the baby. It's a momento box made out of homemade paper. It's beautiful and perfect for items not really made to fit in a traditional photo album like locks of hair, umbilical cords, etc.


With the whole family. Can you spot my pregnant belly?
Just me and the kids.
This job really was a great experience for me. I was able to see other families' modes of parenting, and learned a lot about parenting in general and much, much more. Now if only my own little one would come so I could practice my new knowledge on her! :)

3 comments:

Jaimers said...

I nannied for a Jewish family in London. I'm still friends with them and visit them regularly. We call them our Jewish family. They loved that I was Mormon and was always wanting another American Mormon to nanny for them. It was a great experience. I can't believe you're still waiting for that baby to come out! I'll have mine by the time you have yours! xx

Nancy said...

Your pregnancy countdown ticker didn't do negative numbers eh? Will you be induced, or do you want this all 100% natural? I remember your Mom told me the old navajo women would tie a piece of cloth onto a overhanging limb, and tug on it while giving birth under a cottonwood tree. ; ) The family you nannied for looks wonderful! I'm glad it was such a positive experience for both you and them! I know sometimes it takes a lot of patience watching other peoples children. When they misbehave I always want to spank them, but I resist the urge. Take some castor (vegetable -not automotive) oil, I hear it works wonders! Luv u!

Dorey said...

Congratulations!! I'm excited to see pictures of your little girl. TTYL