I don't know about you, but I haven't had the time or money to travel to any less-developed countries and hand someone a buck that they sorely need. That's why I'm putting in a plug for Ads4Africa.org and freerice.com, two really easy ways to fund charity work.Ads4Africa is a free web brower you can download from the site; by adding this browser and searching the web with it you help raise funds for entrepeneurs. How? The money comes from advertisements on the search engine. Every month, these advertisers pay Ads4Africa for the exposure they've received from people using the search engine. Ads4Africa then partners with Kiva.org in loaning money to entrepeneurs in Africa. The loan is interest free. All you have to do to donate money is perform your Google searches from ads4africa.org.
Free rice? I love it! Essentially the same model is used for this website, though instead of giving you a web brower, freerice offers trivia questions in such categories as: spanish, english vocab, french, algebra, calculus, etc. For every question you answer correctly, freerice donates 10 grains of rice to fill a hungry persons bowl. The money for the rice donated comes from the advertisements you see on the freerice screen. 10 grains don't seem like much? It adds up fast! And trust me, it's just a little bit addictive. If you have older kids, it's really fun for them too!
8 comments:
I love Free Rice. I've spent a lot of time there. Thanks for mentioning these Jen.
How did you find out about these? Sounds like a great idea!
Sorry, I always forget to check who is signed in. The above comment was from me. :)
Great concept!
We got to hand out clothes and soccer balls to people down in Nicaragua and it was one of the most touching experiences of my life - it's always great to help people who are less fortunate. It makes you really appreciate (and feel guilty) about how much you have when you see people who only own 2 pairs of clothes and are so happy for just one or two shirts. The people were so poor there was a crowd across the street watching the wedding because they had never seen one before. (with a dress, tux, etc)
A lot of the time I think people in countries like that are happier than us though. They are poor, but they are all poor so they don't care, and they're so much more relaxed opposed to the fast paced US lifestyle.
It's great that the internet is allowing people all over the world help one another!
Becca,
I learned about freerice from Jake, Derrick's cousin and I read about Ads4Africa in the Daily Universe, BYU's student newspaper.
I think it's ingenious!
I've used Free Rice before! The questions are fun! I love how the Church's Humanitarian aid works too! That's my favorite way to donate!
Nancy,
the LDS Church is one of the best role models for sustainable development projects. We had a guest speaker from the Benson Institute (the Agricultural Development branch of the church) and he was telling us about some projects they have going on the Navajo/Hopi reservation. They have some really incredible ideas. Every dollar donated to Church Humanitarian funds is a dollar carefully spent, as opposed to some other Aid Organizations. Definitely a great way to go!
A friend sent me an e-Christmas card from another really cool site! Check it out http://www.hopeequity.org/
Post a Comment