Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Artists in Residence

This is going to be a big surprise to many of you, but Derrick and I aren't really artists. Nope. In fact my cousins, Michelle and Lisa, who just happen to be amazing artists, might snigger a little while reading this post. No matter.
-
Though we aren't artists, we do like to spend time together and we enjoy trying new things. Additionally, I'm not a big decorator or decoration buyer, but I hated a certain wall in my apartment that always looked blank no matter what I hung up. So I decided several months ago to ditch the standard date-night set-up (babysitter, eating out, etc.) and headed to my university's bookstore to buy some painting supplies.



As you can see, I didn't go out on a limb. I bought the very basic colors, knowing we could create any color we needed by mixing primary colors. I remembered that vividly from my elementary school days. Impressive, no?

For other supplies we used newspaper (also acquired at BYU-who reads the student newspaper anyway?) and for a palette we got a piece of cardboard and stapled a plastic bag over it. Because I'm not a serious artist, I felt no need or desire to actually spend money on a legitimate palette. Besides, this worked just as well.
-
When I told Derrick about my idea he jumped right on board and never complained. Isn't he a stud? We started talking about what to paint and decided on painting a place we want to live or travel to someday. Problem was, we couldn't decide which place, so we decided to divide the canvas and do several of them.



Masking tape served as the divider, here's the painting in it's first stage.



Closer to it's final stage...


And...done!


I know all of you are dying to have one of our masterpieces in your very own home, but at this stage in our career, it would be impossible to keep up with all of your orders. Sorry, guys.
Now let's see how many of you can accurately name the places we painted and extra credit for those who can guess which scenes Derrick or I are responsible for.

8 comments:

Nana and Papa said...

Kenya, Paris, somewhere in the Aegean Sea- Greek island or Crete, Machu Pichu. Jen painted Africa and Paris- Derrick painted South America and Greece.

Michelle Jones said...

France and Africa are Jen's. The Mayan place and the Meditteranean place is Derrick's?

By the way, it's really cute. It doesn't matter that you're not pros!

Becca said...

I'm guessing you painted the safari in Tanzania Jen, since I saw you painting it in the picture.

Lisa Campbell said...

This turned out really cool, Jen. No sniggering, I promise."Nana and Papa" already guessed pretty much the same as me, except I would have said Tanzania instead of Kenya and Guatemala/Belize instead of Machu Pichu.

Nancy said...

Africa, France, South America, Greece. That's about as general as I can get without actually guessing "Earth" ;) You guys did an awesome job!

Jen said...

Very good everyone. The top left is a Greek island, then Paris, Kenya and I think Tikal is what we decided for the bottom right. And actually, I painted three due to the fact that Derrick is a much more meticulous and detail-oriented painter than I. He can take credit for the Tikal section.

And Becca, Africa was a give-away, so no points for you!

Kari said...

I love it! I think it is really good and am actually quite impressed! Fun idea- Kirk and I might have to try this sometime!

Moore Minutes said...

This is the COOLEST idea EVER! What an awesome thing to do together...I {double} love it. And you guys are really good...seriously. I couldn't do anything close to that, lol. :)