Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A Motherhood Manifesto

Monday was a good day to be a mom. Nothing special, nothing amazing and it happened to be a chilly, rainy day. The goodness of the day consisted of no homework, no deadlines, no plays or books to read and nowhere to be on campus. It was refreshing. The day was full of all those little schedules and to-dos that every mommy knows about: play time, meal time, nap time, cuddle time.

For the first time in what felt like a long time I was able to relax and just enjoy my baby, finally at peace enough to reach in and touch the warmest, softest place in my heart where my daughter resides. It was a lovely feeling.

This isn't an announcement that I'm quitting school - I wonder if moments like this can be elusive for every mommy, even when they're home full-time. I realized, though, that putting my baby first while I'm also working towards my long-term goals doesn't only mean limiting how many hours I'm gone a day, juggling schedules, and trying to take care of her emotional and physical needs. It also means I need to be still every once in a while and just enjoy her like she deserves.

2 comments:

Abby Killam said...

I think this speaks to one of my biggest fears about having kids... that once I have them, I will only want to stay home and have that "feeling"
:o)
glad for your nice day- makes my heart smile.

Nancy said...

That middle paragraph was beautiful!!! Like poetry! I had to read it over 3 times before I could move on to the next one. I'm so glad u have another semester behind you. You are a great Mommy =)