Thursday, May 13, 2010

An Ode to the Gluten-Free Goddess

If I were a pagan (which I'm not), or if I worshipped multiple gods (which I don't), I would worship my sister-in-law, Steph, as the goddess of living gluten-free.

Our family's been going gluten-free since January due to Derrick's declining health and increasing indigestion. At Steph and Mandi's suggestion we decided to try eating without gluten and Derrick's been feeling much better since that time.

Sincerely, though, our house isn't entirely gluten-free. I still eat it with relish (not the pickle kind) for breakfast and lunch and I feed it to the Squirt, but I always cook gluten-free dinners and have Derrick take the leftovers for lunch the next day. We've become healthier and thinner and have saved money that we otherwise would have spent eating out.

Steph has been a big help to me during this transition; constantly sending me great recipes (see the one below) and giving plenty of encouragement.

This is the latest of the recipes she's forwarded to us. If you do eat gluten, just use regular flour, the measurements are the same.

Pepperoni Pizza Puffs
3/4 cup gluten free flour (we use pamelas baking and pancake mix)
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup whole milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (Walmart brand or Kraft)
1 cup pepperoni-cut into small cubes (Hormel)
Pizza sauce (ragu or Walmart brand)
Italian seasonings- to taste
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Grease a 24 cup mini-muffin pan.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder. Whisk in the milk and egg. Stir in the cheese and pepperoni. Add Italian seasonings. Let stand for 10 minutes. Stir the batter and divide among the mini-muffin pan.
Bake 23-25 minutes until puffed and golden. Use heated Pizza Sauce for dipping!

We tried it and loved it. As the weather warms up, we're thinking of using this as a picnic food.

Thanks, Steph, for being such a wonderful support!

1 comment:

Abby Killam said...

This pic made me do a double take and I had to rethink the family lines for just a moment... steph and I were buddies back in HS and so this just brought back some crazy memories!! glad to know she is doing well and helping you guys to do the same!!