Monday, June 14, 2010

A little feminist rant from yours truly

I've been feeling bugged today. The reason for my annoyance can be traced back to a discussion in one of my literature classes in which we discussed the importance - or unimportance - of preserving "the canon", that tried and true collection of salient literature that has carried us to where we are today. I respect the canon. I agree that it has left a literary legacy that numerous authors have been able to build on. Additionally, its effect upon masses of people cannot be easily dismissed. The trouble with the canon, however, is that though it is important, protecting the canon at all costs includes using a standard of judgement that can be exclusive.

For some, this is a good thing. In the words of one of my classmates, it means that "the cream will always rise to the top." But what if the canon fails to reflect the truth of a particular time period? Or of life for enormous groups of people? For example, I took a late Renaissance literature class and would have had absolutely no clue that women were even putting pen to paper in the late 1600s had I not done some studying on my own, my professor being a "canon protector". Sure we studied Jonson, Donne, Herbert, Vaughan and Bacon. It was great. But what did women have to say about life and their situation during the late Renaissance? What about Margery Kempe or Mary Herbert? What about Mary Wroth and the ever present "anonymous" writer? What about freaking Queen Elizabeth? And hmm...what about people of color?

This is where the class discussion took a more disturbing turn. The classmate previously mentioned essentially insinuated that women just hadn't been capable of producing "cream". He couldn't help notice, as both an english and philosophy major, that women just hadn't contributed to these fields as men had. He continued that perhaps women just weren't rational enough, at which point I became extremely pissed off.

Huh. Women not rational enough for philosophy? So that explains it. I'm glad we have that so tidily cleaned up. Now whenever I note that men are at the forefront of certain professions I can say to myself, "women just aren't rational enough" and feel better.

My question is, how is it somehow excusable in the minds of certain persons to make ridiculous generalizations about women, even when we've learned that making those same generalizations about other entire groups of people is morally and intellectually reprehensible?

Let's take one very important profession. Neurosurgery. Wow. Not a lot of female neurosurgeons. In fact, I could pretty much guarantee you that female neurosurgeons are outnumbered significantly by male ones. This must mean women aren't rational enough for neurosurgery. Or smart enough. Or whatever easy mental solution you have for this issue. Easy, right? But wait, how many of those neurosurgeons are people of color? If they, too, are vastly outnumbered by white male neurosurgeons this also must mean that they are somehow deficient just as women are, right? Wrong.

Dr. Ben Carson is widely considered the best pediatric neurosurgeon in the world. He has directed the pediatric nuerosurgery unit at Johns Hopkins for years. And he is an African-American. Hmm...so it seems my classmate's simple formula has suddenly become a bit more complicated. Unless you believe the case of Ben Carson is a fluke, which is stupid.

Perhaps there are more Ben Carsons out there who, given the opportunity, will change the face of neurosurgery as we know it. Perhaps there are women who will do the same. I don't doubt it for a second. I just wish the idiot (confused individual) in my class didn't either.

8 comments:

Abby Killam said...

love this post! I felt the same way throughout college minoring in religious studies... where were the women? I know they were THERE.. I know that they didn't have a sudden evolution of brain growth recently that made them competent. Pretty amazing what the power of oppression, low expectations and the stigma of what we are supposed to do (have babies) can do to a group of intellectual people. As for our cream, because we have higher standards as to what makes us "top" material... I hope that just means that we have filtered out a lot of the crap that men use to float on.... :o)
Thanks for this boost this morning.

Jen said...

Thanks, Abby. Isn't it ironic that you didn't encounter many women in your religious studies minor and yet much of the literature women were writing in the late 1600s-onwards were documentations of their religious and spiritual experiences? Funny our world.

As a mother myself, I am grateful that feminism has grown up a bit. I'm not an advocate of the "all or nothing" feminism, where having children is an antifeminist act. Elinor Ostrum, who won the 2009Nobel Prize in economics had to decide between her career and family. She decided "not to have a family because, in earlier times, that would have been a very, very difficult thing to accomplish." I'm glad things have changed. I couldn't be more grateful to live in a time period where I can have both passionate interests outside the home and a family I adore.

Becca said...

I don't know why the word 'feminist' still produces so much negativity. Feminism has evolved and so people need to stop being so scared of it! If you believe that women should have equal rights to men, then (gasp) you're a feminist! Great post Jen.

ginger said...

Has this classmate published any cream material yet? Sounds like he may be deficient.

Ben said...

I am a canon advocate. But Wow. What a fool. I hope he is not reflective of the general male population at BYU. Just . . . wow.

Ben said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ben said...

Better example:

Upon further consideration, perhaps your friend was right. I mean, Jane Austen was clearly an irrational hag, while the likes of Edgar Allen Poe and Earnest Hemingway were the picture of mental stability.

Elizabeth said...

Geesh. Thanks for the rant. Learning about classroom comments like this reinforces in my mind the ways I benefited from 8 years of women-only education. Boys (and girls from the consortium) that joined our college classes knew whose turf they were on and the female paradigm that always came into play. Alas, your classmate reminds me why I can't become complacent in my feminist beliefs- because they aren't obvious ways of thinking that everyone values, or that our society encourages them to value.