Thursday, July 1, 2010

How I feel a week later

It's been a week since I shaved my head. How do I feel?

Ecstatic.

Despite the fact that a few people (and only a very few) have disapproved of my drastic move on grounds ranging from the aesthetic to moral, I remain unmoved and unremorseful. Why? Here are some of my own reasons for loving my new 'do:

Delighted.

(Is Squirt sneezing, laughing or just plain delighted? We may never know.)

  • I can put my swim cap on at the gym without Mandi's help and without feeling like I'm ripping my hair out every time I put it on or take it off.
  • Do you know how refreshing it is to never worry about your hair getting stuck on your lip gloss? I put it on and never have to think about it again. Lovely.
  • I now laugh at the idea of wind-blown hair.
  • Derrick now says bye to me with a kiss and a sweet little head rub.
  • Is it just me, or are people nicer? Cashiers, people in lines, people in elevators, complete strangers. Last weekend I also got the best prices I've ever managed at my local Farmers' Market. Hmm...It seems that looking like you may or may not be undergoing cancer treatment is a big incentive for people to not be jerks. Don't get me wrong. I get the occasional stare, but generally when I catch people staring they smile back at me or look away politely.
  • I can literally get out of the shower and be done with my hair. Why don't more women do this? I have no idea.
  • With a lively almost-toddler often in my arms, the absence of hair pulling is a reason in and of itself for a shaven head.
  • One of the best things about new experiences such as a shaven head is the additional new experiences it can lead to. My friend, Kjell (who also shaved her head), and I are both candidates to participate in a photoshoot in September for a professional, award-winning photographer based out of Salt Lake. Check out her site here. All because we are two women who dared to shave our heads.

Proud.

2 comments:

jgirl said...

As i think back upon my head shaven experience (although not nearly as noble as yours), I loved the freedom it entailed. My co-workers were kind enough to tell people that I was sick and I had to fend a lot of people off, but I truly loved the freedom! The one thing I noticed is when my hair grew back it came back in with a distinct wave, when it was mostly straight before! You look great and bravo to your bravery!

Kjell Crowe said...

LOL! Why would anybody think it's immoral?
Some people just know how to stretch things, don't they?

So JC does the same thing when we hug and say goodbye or hello. I love it!
I love that Kaisa can't pull my hair anymore.
I love being able to keep the windows down and not have my hair go all over the place so I can't see where I'm going.

I love that my showers are 1 minute long and I don't have to blow dry my hair.
I love that I don't shed and find my hair all over the house.

And I love that I've been called Hot, sexy, brave, amazing, etc. just because I just shaved my hair off.

Still loving it!