Thursday, June 24, 2010

Mormon Woman Shaves Head for Good Cause(s), then Blogs

So many Americans (and others around the world) have watched with powerless horror at the disaster occurring in the Gulf with the BP oil spill. That's why I was pleased when I read about an NGO collecting hair from salons, pet groomers and private donors in order to make what is called "hair boom" - nylon stuffed with animal and human hair - which is then used to soak up the oil. The NGO is Matter of Trust, based out of San Francisco and they have really energized many dismayed people into action, including myself!

Salons in virtually every state are collecting the hair leftover from a hard day's work, stuffing it in plastic liner and shipping it to Matter of Trust's designated sites where it is then stored until it can be turned into hair boom. How brilliant, using a renewable material to clean up a big mess.


Photo courtesy of matteroftrust.org
I must be upfront about something, though. The truth is, I've always wanted to donate my hair - and buzz it. You may think I'm strange, but it's always been on my bucket list, though something I'd been saving for a "future day". When I read about Matter of Trust though, I really felt motivated to finally check this to-do off my list. I had a rough few days, one of exhilarating highs when I was definitely going to do it and depressing lows when I heard that BP was going to use oil-based commercial booms to clean up their mess (go figure, huh?). However, further research into Matter of Trust's site assured me that if I did donate my hair it would certainly be used. Communities all over the coast are requesting hair boom and the NGO has been extremely professional in putting oil-exposure in the hands of trained individuals. Additionally, they have a very organized system for boom-gathering (after they've absorbed as much oil as they can hold) that is in accordance with their various city and municipal regulations. It was a nerve-wracking decision, but after a depressing day where I'd called the whole thing off, I realized I was too far involved and I had to do it or feel miserable.

On Matter of Trust's site, a list of participating salons is readily available. One such salon is the Aveda Institute of Provo. In addition, they give free hair cuts to people donating to Locks of Love, a cause I also deeply wanted to contribute to.



Walking into the salon. I look much more confident than I feel!

My anxiety-ridden sister-in-law. Supportive, but anxious nonetheless.
She's holding my sweet baby. We call her Squirt.



Discussing how to go about doing this. They also wanted to make sure I was committed enough to not chase them down with a shotgun after all was said and done :)


Some play time while getting everything ready.

After measuring my hair, the students at Aveda determined that much of my hair was long enough to donate to Locks of Love (10 inches). To ensure this, however, it needed to be sectioned into little ponytails. The parts lacking in length, in addition to the clean-up buzz, were donated to Matter of Trust.


Finished ponytailing.

Buzzing off the first pony. Note the intense look of concentration on my face. Deep breathing definitely came in handy.


Ultimately, we found it too difficult to buzz underneath the ponytail, so we used some scissors instead. Still doing some deep breathing :)


We drew quite a crowd.


Mandi, discovering her true vocation in life.

My friend, Brittany, doing what she does best (she's a hairstylist).


Lawn-mower head. Cleaning this up was the next step.



Even the Squirt wanted to help. Look at her face!





The final product! What an awesome team we all made.

Goodbye, beautiful hair.
I am a proud woman.

How wonderful that my hair could contribute to two such important causes: wig creation for cancer patients, and the cleanup of a terrible disaster. I feel great and fail to be self-conscious of my new hairstyle. My husband has been wonderfully supportive and the baby still recognizes me, so that's great too. I highly support this movement. If you are so able, please locate a salon near you to find those contributing to this effort. You don't have to buzz it all off...unless you want to.

16 comments:

Lisa Campbell said...

You beat me to it! Okay, remember how less than one week ago, while I was giving you a haircut (for no apparent reason, I guess), I told you I was going to buzz my head after the next baby? Well, good job! I think it's awesome. I'm really just jealous that you got to do it before me! You actually look good too.

Elizabeth said...

You're glowing from the inside and out, just like I said you would!

I'm proud of you, Jen!

Michelle Jones said...

holy guacamole! V for Vendetta? . . . or I for Insane?

Moore Minutes said...

Wow, I am stunned. This is such a huge sacrifice to make as a woman. You have a beautiful heart...AND you are beautiful buzzed! You are just naturally very pretty.

Abby Killam said...

holy crap I can not believe you actually DID this!!! I would never have the guts to buzz mine but KUDOS. This is unbelievably selfless and I am floored. Good for you and those that are lucky enough to benefit.
you are my new hero haha

Kari said...

When I saw the title of your post I would've NEVER guessed that the Mormon Woman was you! You never cease to amaze me! You are an inspiration, and just like everyone else said, are beautiful on the inside and out.

jgirl said...

what a great cause to donate your hair too! I too actually buzzed my own hair about four years ago...although it wasn't for a great cause such as yours. Let's just say that the kids bringing home head lice from daycare didn't fair well with Mom either...

Becca said...

This blog post comes as such a shock to me! I had no idea you were going to do this, (didn't we talk less than a week ago?). You actually look really good buzzed! This does remind me of V for Vendetta, like Michelle said. Do you find it just as liberating?? :)

Ashley said...

You look beautiful bald! Seriously stunning :)! Good for you. I'm proud of you Jen, what an example you are.

alisa fawn said...

so amazing! this has made my day! I donated my hair before my mission to lock of love, but goodness me, I did not shave my head! You are brave, thoughtful and inspirational!

alisa fawn said...

I wasn't done. haha. You look so beautiful as well! much better than ever natalie portman!

ginger said...

Awesome. You look great!

christine said...

Wow! Way to go.

Christa said...

You don't know me. I was directed here by Kjell, and reading this blog I just have to comment. Just for the record, I don't think you're crazy. For some reason buzzing my head has always been a dream of mine too, but, unlike you, I don't think I'd have the guts, even for such a great cause. But wow and kudos to you! I admire your courage and giving heart. :)

Michelle Jones said...

I showed this to Ty, he says you look cute. You do. :o)

Amander said...

So, I've been blog stalking you forever now, and I just had to come out and say you are awesome.

Seriously, I've always wanted to shave my head. I'm afraid that I would not look near as good as you do!

And it's all for a good cause. Very awesome.