Sunday, July 11, 2010

Lavender 5K: Take Two

I had an absolute blast at this year's Lavender 5K at the Young Living Farm in Mona, Utah. Last year, Amanda, Meri and I traveled south to Mona and I enjoyed it so much I vowed to return every year that I live in the Salt Lake area.

This year, I returned with Amanda and my friend, Elizabeth, but unfortunately not my mother-in-law, who is recovering from knee-replacement surgery. Mom, you were missed, but there's always next year!

We left Provo around 6 in the morning with two wonderful and supportive husbands and a less-than thrilled, but resigned, baby. Worried that we had arrived a little later than we had desired, we were surprised to have plenty of time to mill about while they worked out the technicalities of the running chips all the participants sported on their shoes.

Milling about.


I dearly wish I could have pictures during the interim of the race, but since I was so focused on putting one foot in front of the other that's just impossible. Sorry, folks. Rest assured that the views were gorgeous, the faint smell and lovely sight of lavender were plentiful and it felt awesome whenever I passed someone.

Coming in at the finish. I ran some 3 miles in roughly 32 minutes. Not too bad.
In fact, I was rather happy with my performance.

Seeking out our proud husbands.


More than anything, I'm proud of the way Elizabeth and I stuck together. This was her first 5k and she did an awesome job. We really helped push each other through to the end.


With my gorgeous family.

A photo op at the lavender fields.

My favorite picture of us.
It would be so much better if Mandi weren't cut out though :(


See this? Not to brag, but I never had to do this
whenever a small breeze kicked up. Haha!


More photos of the victorious athletes.

I'm just crazy about this view.

In addition to the 5k, Young Living has other events to keep people around.
One is a lavender wreath-making that I sadly didn't have enough cash for,
but happily, we had enough cash to take a lovely, fragrant bunch of lavender home with us.


I just love this guy. Muah!

2 comments:

Becca said...

Way to go, Jen! With your head shaved you and Derrick look like brother and sister! :) Don't worry, people have thought that of Ben and I too. :)

Hurst said...

Love your guts Jen for pushing/encouraging me to run the whole way, and to undertake the run in the first place. You inspire me so. I'm glad I stumbled upon this blog post today, when I really needed to remember how amazing my life is and the people in it.

But I'm happy to sit out on the Tri. You're gonna be great!