A few weekends ago we ventured up to Salt Lake City to see a friend's artshow. She had transformed her mother's house into one large art gallery. We strolled from room to room, trying to keep the baby from knocking easels over and ruining beautiful works of art, but mostly just enjoying the art ourselves. I love Derrick in these types of settings, because not only does he put forth enormous effort trying to keep the baby in line, but he also waxes very artsy fartsy. He loves analyzing artwork and picking his favorites and so do I, despite the fact that neither of us are very good artists ourselves (you've seen our artwork, so you're probably nodding in agreement right now).
This was one of our favorite portraits:

I couldn't leave without purchasing a print of this painting:
Outside, we enjoyed more artwork as well as some musical entertainment, which Squirty loved.We were also super-duper, unbelievably lucky to win the drawing for a free commissioned portrait. Derrick, Anna and I are currently consulting to figure out what we want to do for it. Any suggestions? If you're interested in seeing other artwork by Anna, please check out her blog here.
But we weren't done with Salt Lake yet! Before the art show we enjoyed lunch at Trolley Square's Old Spaghetti Factory (they have a gluten-free menu) but after said art show we drove back to Salt Lake's Public Library. I love, love, love this library. It's gorgeous, but they also have a wonderful bargain books section. I happily purchased Madeleine L'Engle's Certain Women, Leslie Marmon Silko's Ceremony, and The Encyclopedia of Women's History in America, a read I've been enjoying immensely. In short, we both really like Salt Lake. What a great city with such an interesting sub-culture. In fact, according to this article, Salt Lake City is seventh on the Bohemian list, Bohemian signifying the percentage of people who actually make a living doing artsy fartsy things.
Some pictures for the grandparents. I got some strange looks from other mothers at the children's splash pool for placidly watching Squirty play in the water while in her clothes. What?! It was a hot day!
And we're off!
As our portrait unfolds, we'll be sure to share.
No comments:
Post a Comment