Photo from theacademicmom.comA recent study highlighted in the Deseret News last week made me feel both pleased and discouraged. The article pointed out that Utah women lag behind in higher education, much more so than women in other states. The study indicated that Mormon women in particular have a difficult time reconciling higher education with family. The article left me feeling pleased because women in this area, most of whom are of my faith, place high priority on family and child-rearing. It upset me for a few reasons. Before I go further, however, let me make it very clear that the purpose of this blog post is not to admonish all women, and especially Mormon women to pursue educational and career goals, whatever the cost. There are so many considerations to be made depending on the woman, her interests and her family, that I have absolutely no interest in making broad statements about women and what they should or should not do.
-
That being said, the article did discourage me because so many women feel, rightly or wrongly, that pursuing an education and raising a family are mutually exclusive pursuits. That may be true of some women and their families, but certainly not all. One quote in particular resonated with me. Susan Madsen, business management professor leading the Utah Women and Education Project, stated: "LDS young women get that it's important to go to college. That's not the problem. . . They don't see options. They do not see that one evening a week they could go to class and their husband could watch the kids. It's all or nothing." As the article outlines, many Mormon women do begin college, and it's highly encouraged; but finishing is given less emphasis and consequently, many of those women don't graduate. Anecdotally, I know several women who've waited until their children leave home to finish their degrees. A woman in my Navajo class is 69 and finishing her degree in Political Science. Props to her! But it doesn't have to be that way.
-
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, Mormon woman and professor in Harvard's History Department had finished her bachelor's degree in English shortly after getting married and before having children. After moving to Boston for her husband's education and having several children she says:
-
"By that time I realized that there was life after marriage. . . We were just getting started out. I had these little kids and not much money. It occurred to me that I could do a lot with small amounts of time if I was organized. It was very hard at first, but I became disciplined. The whole experience convinced me that I could handle taking a class or two, and eventually I started thinking about the long term. So Gael and I came up with the money for me to take one course. We thought that if I got a masters in English, at some point I could teach part-time. That seemed like it would be a nice outlet while my kids were growing up. It was a one-year masters program that took five years for me to do" (Kimball 94).
-
Ulrich certainly is a success story for women who decide to abandon the "all or nothing" fallacy. She continued her education, won a Pulitzer, and landed the teaching position she now occupies while raising four children she describes as "terrific people. They can do anything" (98). And guess what? Her marriage even survived the transition she discusses above. In fact, her marriage became stronger and more interdependent. I'm confident that many women in Utah Valley who harbor regrets over not finishing their degrees could have equally happy stories to tell in a few years' time.
-
Works Cited:
Kimball, James. Mormon Women: Portraits and Conversations. Handcart Books, 2009.
5 comments:
Just as I was starting a journal entry about my "all or nothing" frustrations (I was literally thinking that), I decided I should check the Hull blog for inspiration. Seriously! And you seriously inspired me. Per usual. Thanks for the encouragement, friend.
I wish more women saw the importance of finishing because it seems contradictory to what they're teaching their kids.
"Hey, little johnny, you need go to college because it's so important that you get an education so you can thrive in today's world....yet mom has never attended school or never finished. Doesn't make sense.
Of course, there are many more reasons why women should go to college and finish. I'm not saying put off kids because as with your example and many others, going to school is possible with children. It makes it harder, but still doable.
My mom totally regrets not finishing college at a younger age. She was 50 when she finally graduated, which is awesome, but once all the kids were in school, she didn't have anything to fall back on, such as a teaching degree.
Anyway...I'm definitely pro education for women/moms.
I know how it feels to be so busy that you have to squeeze every minute out of the day. It is amazing how much you can accomplish by using small amounts of time productively, but it does take a lot of discipline. Now that I'm not working much and don't have any demanding churchy stuff I'm finding it hard to maintain that discipline. Maybe because I have more free time now, it's not as valuable to me as it was when it was super limited? All I know is I need to do better...and you are amazing!
Laurel's story reminded me about how it took me 5 years to finish a 2 year nursing degree. I'm SO glad I did it. It also helped that I am married to someone who didn't look at my finishing as a choice. ;)
Jen I love you and I love that you posted this. I am not married or a mother but as a woman who finds education such an asset to life, I think this topic is extremely important. Mormon women need to know that obtaining an education is possible. If they don't want to then that is okay and their choice, but if they want to go to school and feel they can't because of family responsibilities, then they need to read your post! Education is something that can prepare a family in times of emergencies or hardships as well as bring the family closer together. I love my education and as a Mormon I plan on getting my degree! And going on to even higher education :)
Thanks again Jen! You are absolutely wonderful!
Post a Comment