Life has been pretty crazy lately. Some unpleasant circumstances have arisen, along with everything else both Derrick and I are already immersed in. Hey, life happens--and everyone needs to have fun sometimes to just shake things off, laugh about crap, and move on.
So today we concocted the perfect plan to celebrate
our own, nerdy version of fun. We started the day out with gluten-free crepes. We then decided to make a visit to Pioneer Books, our absolute favorite bookstore in the area (maybe of all time...?). Wrangling the baby can be a challenge, so we decided I'd take her for the first half hour while Derrick perused the shelves and then we'd switch. Much to my dismay, Squirty was much more interested in doing this:

and this...

and this...

than this:

So we spent our time playing peekaboo instead of reading. She also spent a good deal of time chasing down and demanding attention from Daddy, even when it was my shift (sorry, honey!).

But he didn't seem to mind too much:

I'm just crazy about this bookstore. The prices are fantastic and their selection often surprising (in a good way). I always end up buying more than I should.

I bought this glorious stack of books. You might notice that all the books in the pile I bought either have "woman/women" in the title, are written by women, or are about women. Is a bias emerging? I don't think so. I have plenty of books by/about men on my reading list, never fear.

Unfortunately, part of our "fun plan" didn't hash out. We'd planned on going to see
this movie at BYU's International Cinema, but Squirty and I were just too worn out to go. So we all took some much-needed naps, read, ate dinner and went to
Megamind at the dollar theater a little later instead. Squirty performed admirably and sat on Daddy's lap most of the time (with a pudgy hand in the popcorn and package of Swedish Fish, of course).

Thank goodness for "fundays"!
5 comments:
-Bookstores
-buying more books than you should -worn out and needing an afternoon nap.
Does that remind you of anyone?? ;)
Your hair looks great, and squirty is as cute as ever!
So glad you got a day to unwind and have fun and NAP! Perhaps I should give Pioneer books another try...I have never been that impressed with the Provo used book scene, perhaps because I lived blocks away from a fantastically amazing used bookstore in CA -- I've never found its equal. Not that I need more books right now since I'm drowning in ones I want to read and haven't.
Ha! Reminds me of my Mom, but I know Becca was referring to yours. ; ) I love that last picture! I miss the old Page library. Do you remember it? They had little shelves and little chairs in the kids area and a whole bookcase full of just Nancy Drew. I used to go for Sis Jakes story time on Saturday mornings. The closest thing I've found to it is the kids section at Barnes n'Noble. I'm trying to get Reese to love books but so far he just wants to eat them!
That looks like you guys had a very fun family day! I miss you and your cute little family! Hope things are going well. Love you =)
Post a Comment