As some of you may have deduced from my last post, Derrick and I will be separated during my 3 month-long internship. It'll be hard. But we'll weather it just fine. Luckily for us we have a few meeting places between our hometown and Provo, so what would normally be a six-hour drive will be more doable. Plus, it'll give us a chance to spend more time at my family's cabin this summer! The trick right now is how we're going to juggle weekend trips with his calling in the Single's Ward, but we'll cross that bridge once we get to it, I s'pose.
In the meantime, Derrick's in St. Louis as of today until Saturday and I'm kind of seeing this as a test run for what we'll be dealing with in about a month.
It's been a day, but suddenly I'm compelled to recognize the little things Derrick does around the house and during the day. So I might as well write about it, right?
Everyday 'til he gets back I'll write something that I miss/appreciate about him. Then maybe I'll feel consoled about sleeping in the bed all by my lonesome! So without further ado:
Day One: To catch an obscenely early flight Derrick had to leave at 4 this morning. Of course I had to see him off, but then I couldn't get back to sleep so I did some work and tried to get an hour or so of sleep at 6. But Derrick wasn't in the bed. I couldn't snuggle up against him and get warm, and there's something about being next to him when he's so relaxed that makes me relax too. This is true when he's asleep, but the truth is he helps me relax pretty much all the time, asleep or no. So, Derrick, thanks for being a source of calm in my life.
3 comments:
I can totally relate here... mike travels about once a month back to Boston for a week and wow... he does a lot around here that I don't even notice... not to mention how much I hate sleeping alone now that I am used to it and that the house seems much creepier when I am on my own. Hang in there, you guys will be totally fine and in the long run it really WILL make you more gracious to him and his helpfulness around the house. hugs
Neal loves when I go away for awhile -- he loves that renewal and freshness all over again. Since we did long-distance for year, it reminds him of that excitement and anticipation of being together again. I look forward to reading about all of Derrick's wonderful qualities this week :)
don't be alarmed when you see a several posts from me from your past posts (make sense?) but you shared your blog on fb today, and I'm unemployed still...so here I am.
Anyway, I can totally relate to the sleep thing. Wolfgang sometimes has to work early mornings, and without even trying, I always wake up with him, and can't go back to sleep in our bed once he's gone. If I even want to think about taking a little nap to get some extra Z's, it has to be on the couch. Funny how that is, huh?
Post a Comment