Thursday, March 31, 2011

A Test Run: Day Two

When we were "dating" (okay, we weren't really dating. I was on a mission and we wrote occasionally), I thought Derrick and I might be too much alike, and that being so similiar might make for a smooth but unhealthy and kind-of-boring relationship. Obviously I changed my mind, and I've found that Derrick and I are actually quite different. We disagree on things ranging from religious interpretations to politics to what we want to do on Saturdays. So far we've been able to compromise and navigate our differences, and even occasionally change our stances on some things.

Sometimes differences like the ones mentioned above can be rather petty. In thinking about the mystery of human relationships and what draws us to or away from certain people, I found myself wondering today if what it really comes down to is whether me and the person I've just met naturally laugh and cry about similiar things. If we find the same things funny, and are touched to the point of crying by similiar things, I think we have a pretty good head start in our relationship.

I love how easy it is for Derrick and I to find shows we can both laugh at. For a few episodes it was Stella, but now we can't get enough of Arrested Development. We're not really T.V. people, we don't have cable and never want it, but every night we love sitting down and laughing at this show.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I always know when Derrick is touched by something, because I feel touched too. One time we were on a bus in Boston and a man came on board and was fumbling and shakily trying to cram his paper money into the money-collector for about two whole minutes. The bus driver stared at him coldly the entire time and the poor guy was so embarrassed. I knew instantly that Derrick was watching and feeling the same way I was -horrible-, because that's just the way he is. We cried together when we watched The Elephant Man, and we sat in stunned, teary-eyed silence at the end of The Boy in the Striped Pajamas a few nights ago.

So what I love about Derrick today is how we laugh and cry together
, and having a relationship like that with someone is incredibly priceless.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Arrested Development...I hate that show and I love that show. I have never had such an intense relationship with a fictional family as I did with the Bluths. Neal wants to teach Addison lessons with a one-armed man -- we'll see.

As for the crying thing, I totally teared reading about your description of the man on the bus...I guess I really do have the gift of weeping :)

Becca said...

Arrested Development is a huge hit in this house too. We own all 3 of the seasons. :)

I agree with the laughing and crying thing, except that Ben doesn't really cry much and I do, so that isn't something we really do together. But we definitely would both feel really bad watching that man on the bus. So sad.

Cute post. :)

Stephanie said...

Awww...Love it!

Nancy said...

I've only seen a few episodes of Arrested Development and I just didn't get the draw.
Edward and I do both love MXC on Spike TV. It's a japanese show dubbed in English (and the dubbing -if that's a word- is rather inappropriate at times, but that's not what we love.) These people compete in these ridiculous challenges that always end up with them getting hurt, and that's the part we find hilarious. We watched it with a friend one time and she couldn't figure out how we found such humor in other people's pain. I guess we're both sick.
I don't think I could have married anybody who can more fully appreciate the humor in my family than Edward. We'll sit and watch my Dad try and cram a whole tree stump into the fireplace and both be crying because we're laughing so hard =)