I was moved tonight, however, by his perceptive nature. Go through the voyage with me and you'll see what I mean.
Childhood: in this painting Cole captures the excitement of an embarking voyage; the shining light of hope that comes at the beginning of life, where many of us have every reason to expect that good things await us.

We move almost imperceptibly into Youth, where anything is possible, and our castles in the sky remain intact and the sun hasn't quite reached its zenith.

And then there's Adulthood. Otherwise known as Hell in a Handbasket. Your zenith has passed, my friend, and you are in an ugly, dreary world, facing demons and white water rapids all alone.

Old Age is the only aspect of Cole's voyage I've yet to identify with. Give me time. I too would like to feel still in calm waters with an illuminated guide pointing the way to smoother, enlightened journeys ahead.

Perhaps in this artistic journey I'm revealing that I feel a little overwhelmed and overcome and probably a little overtired too. I'm secretly hoping that Mr. Cole was on laudanum or some such narcotic while he painted these, because wouldn't it be awful if this simplistic representation of life's journey were really the "way life is"? Wouldn't it be great if, just because I'm feeling like the figure in red in painting number 3 right now, there actually are periods of childhood and youth still ahead? That I haven't, in actuality, reached a point where my happiest days are behind me?
But I do poor Thomas a disservice. He is probably right that these are periods we all go through in our lives. And maybe he even intended for us to learn from his paintings that such episodes in our lives are cyclical and not necessarily climactic in nature. I certainly hope this is the case.
I guess this post is really a written plea for that angel in the sky, waiting to descend, to hurry up and come to my aid, because I want to feel youthful and hopeful and cheerful again. Please. Hurry.
5 comments:
I know what you mean. Adulthood is definitely a very challenging time in our lives. I seriously am so stressed out all the time at work. I fantasized the other day about quitting and how much happiness that would bring me. I know that this stressful period will end, because eventually I will know what I'm doing and not feel stupid all the time. Hang in there. It is time for our weekly conversation.
Those paintings are powerful and beautiful. I think you are right in thinking that the meaning is that these stages are more of a cycle. That being said, the innocent bliss and unrelenting optimism of younger years is far different than the feelings for life that come with experience in adulthood. Different and at times much darker but beautiful all the same.
Cyclical, yes. I've been through so many of these cycles in my life and yet, there seem to be more cycles in store even in my "old age" ha! If you hang in there, I will too.
As adults we definitely experience a wider range of emotions, but that means the highs are better too right? Opposition in all things I guess. I hope a tranquil lovely joyous stretch is around the next bend of your river ;) Love ya Jen!
Post a Comment