Saturday, September 10, 2011

She's a bore!

Remember this book? There was so much I agreed with and enjoyed about this book, but lately, one thing has been on my mind. Partway through her project, Rubin, who's spent months basically eating, sleeping and drinking literature on happiness and how it can be increased, realizes something important. She's at a party, mixing and mingling, and she realizes from the conversations she's been having that she is, in fact, a happiness bore.

The word "bore", in reference to a person, indicates "monotony, dullness, etc"; "A tiresome person or thing". In Rubin's case, it meant she couldn't shut up about happiness; and, lets face it, don't most of us have something that we'll talk about to anyone who will listen? Government conspiracies to how cute our kids are to how to properly eat a fig?

Being a bore means you talk more than you listen; you make assumptions about who you're talking to; you believe that what you think about a certain issue is more important than what is actually going on at the human level with who you're talking face to face with.

So my new goal is to think what I may think, but to, for goodness sakes, not be a bore about it; to listen more and assume less.

2 comments:

Kerry said...

I think everyone needs to work on listening more!

Unknown said...

I like the idea :)I know I don't want to be a bore, it's actually a fear of mine, I can't stand when someone else is. Though, it can be hard when something is on your mind.