We spent this Thanksgiving at my family's cabin. The day after Thanksgiving I was responsible for turning a left-over turkey carcass into some turkey soup for dinner. Derrick was in the kitchen helping me prepare the meal. My grandpa entered. Look, I love my grandpa, but he does exude a large quantity of white-male-Mormon-patriarchal arrogance. Let's just say it can be a bit unbearable. All the time. The scene is laid out below.
Jen and Derrick in the kitchen. Jen is wrestling with a turkey carcass, scraping every last bit of meat she can from it. Derrick is stirring cornbread batter. Grandpa sits and watches, as per usual. Light conversation follows. When out of nowhere:
Gpa: [in an authoritative voice] Jennifer, you're not allowed to be a prophetess. (What? I seriously don't remember why he brought this up).
Jen (not Jennifer, mind you): What? But Grandpa, there are prophetesses in the Bible.
Gpa [laughs mirthlessly]: But they are far and few between. (Derrick is listening anxiously, afraid he knows what's coming)
Jen: So?
Gpa: Jennifer, you are fighting a losing battle. (Beads of sweat form on Derrick's brow)
Jen: With this turkey? I think you might be right. (Obviously taking the high road, Derrick relaxes)
Derrick: [to Jen] Which turkey are you referring to?
I love, love, love my husband. Oh, and the soup turned out great, just like I knew it would. I guess I'm a "prophetess" after all.
5 comments:
Best Thanksgiving story ever! I'm grateful for it :)
Wow, that's a random conversation. Haha, it wouldn't be a family get together without Grandpa annoying someone. Looks like it was your turn this trip. Gotta love family!
So awesome! Love you Jen!
Your Grandpa sounds like quite the character. I still always think of him lecturing Scott on NOT blowing his nose (he had a cold), and Scott goes, "What, so I just let the snot run down my face?" and then your Mom goes, "Scott! That wasn't very nice." Don't know why that stuck in my head so permanently. I love your family!
lol!! I can't imagine anyone ever calling you "Jennifer"! I didn't even know that was your name. You're definitely a "Jen". And I'm impressed you made turkey soup! I'd love to see your recipe - I wanted to try it this year, but didn't know where to start!
Post a Comment