Thursday, February 2, 2012

february celebrations

This week I've had some new insights about my theme of the year, celebrate. One I had today was, why reinvent the wheel? Meaning, why scrounge around and try to come up with some ideas for what to celebrate when I can look at a calendar and see what's already there? Surely this will make it easier for me, right?

So I went. And I looked. And to some level this was true. But then I became almost overwhelmed by the list I was looking at, which had an endless list of banal events to commemorate each and every day. Don't believe me? Try February, which hosts "National Crab-stuffed Flounder Day", or March 19th: "Sparky Fire Dogs Bday" (seriously, what is this?) or May 22nd: "Buy a Musical Instrument Day." The latter day brings me to my next point about celebrating. It's not about running a consumer marathon. And it's not about celebrating the commodification of everyone and everything under the sun. And it's not about celebrating everything either. I know I used the word banal before, but seriously, the act of celebrating everything makes the act of celebrating something just plain banal.

So I had to narrow down the list. No offense to Sparky, but he, she, or it did not make the cut. My current list is by no means exhaustive. I plan on keeping my eyes open to celebrate things that don't make the terrible list I used for research. Things like favorite authors bdays, family/friend bdays, and other special dates could be added to the agenda at any time. I'm also really open to feedback, like: "Jen, I don't think you meant to skip Thanksgiving," or "Haven't you forgotten about ride-a-bike month?" (Yes, I've forgotten which month this is-help?). Here is a list for this month:

February:
African-American History month. (Is this all about being PC? puh-lease. Well...maybe. Whatever, screw you!) But seriously, I think I and Lissie both have a lot to learn about the stories that have created our current America and I want all those stories and experiences to be validated by people who will recognize them. So count me in. *For every monthly theme, I plan to celebrate by checking out books for Lissie and I to read together that correlate with that theme. In this case, books that discuss the Black American experience.

14- Valentine's Day: I know this day has been heavily commercialized, but why not celebrate a day that highlights special and often irreplaceable friendships? I remember one particular Valentine's Day when my parents surprised my sister Becca and I with stuffed animals on our beds. I've always felt warm and fuzzy inside when I think about it. So I think I'll pass the love along by making Lissie feel extra loved by both her parents on this day. Game plan includes a few homemade craft/decorations and some fun with lipstick kisses and pictures for Lissie, a valentine exchange for us and Lissie, and a special treat for all of us. I'm looking up some ideas on pinterest for easy crafts, but if you have any suggestions hit me up.

23-Gutenberg Day: Books are a big deal in our family, so I think this would be a great day to think about and celebrate the role they play in our lives. So far ideas escape me as to how to celebrate this day. What do you think?

I will update this as I go along, so stay posted for a March, April, etc. list. What do you think, did I miss anything important for February?

5 comments:

llcall said...

Don't forget about Presidents' Day on the 21st...after all, it's no longer a day just about old white men :)

When you mentioned Gutenberg Day, I thought about book art. I know Sara does/has done some of that, and they have a festival at BYU each year, I think. I think some book art is rather stunning, and how fun for Lissie to get to cut up and otherwise alter a book, right? Just a thought.

You know I'm an expert at fancy craft ideas, so here's one for Valentine's day: you fold a piece of paper in half and then cut half the shape of a heart. When you open it up, it is a HEART! Awesome, right?! (I think it might be my bedtime...)

Kari said...

I love this theme of celebrate! I think it is ingenious. I don't know if you want to involve other people in your celebrations or just make it a family thing, but for Gutenberg Day a book exchange came to my mind. Each person invited would bring a copy of one of their favorite books and then you'd exchange them and everyone would end up with a new one- kind of fun. It'd be fun to do a kid's book exchange too. Anyways, love this and hope you have a fun February!

Krisanne said...

I was thinking about birthdays this week. Isn't it fantastic that in our culture we think it's important to celebrate each and every person's existence? You existence? Well let's celebrate you! I feel happy to be a human being when I think about this.

Jen said...

Haha, great one Lindsay, I think we may try this very complicated experiment! But you know how very crafty I tend not to be so I make no promises:)

Kari, I LOVE this idea. This sounds like an excellent tradition in the making.

Krisanne, yes. Simply, yes.

Austin said...

i love this theme for a year. i may have to copy you! :)