Tuesday, February 7, 2012

pass the chevre!

I recently finished reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver, a book about eating locally. Although Kingsolver can be incredibly sanctimonious at times, especially at the beginning of this book, her arguments (one of which is learning to celebrate your local food culture and food offerings. buenisima!) for eating locally were sufficiently convincing. And while, yes, I like to eat cheaply most of the time, I would also like to eat more conscientously.

It is impossible to eat really locally in the Utah wintertime, so I'll have to wait for summer to garden and frequent farmer's markets, but I knew at least one thing: dairies are a year-round thing! So I poked around online. Winder Farms is a well-known peddler of local milk, but my eye was also drawn to Drake Family Farms, a goat dairy that sells goat-based wares. For whatever reason, I got a real hankering for some chevre, so I surprised Derrick on our date last Saturday and we drove to this little family farm about 7 minutes away from us.




The "store" is a tool shed. And a locked box with a place to insert your money is the cash register. Isn't that so charming? Here is the store to scale:

Now, I've actually had goat milk before, so I wasn't tempted in the slightest to buy any.



But that doesn't mean we bought nothing. Our selection: Two 32 oz. containers of goat yogurt ($12) and two 4 0z containers of chevre-one plain and one herbs de provence-($8).

We filled out our form, slipped in a $20, and went on our merry way.

Lissie and I love the goat yogurt with some maple syrup (definitely not local) and we both like the plain chevre. Derrick likes neither, but agreed to eat some herbs de provence chevre sprinkled over our green salad (also not local) last night and actually liked it.

And just to document the rest of our animal adventures, I thought I'd insert a photo of what greeted me outside our door the other morning:


Our upstairs neighbors (and landlords) have a small chicken coop and one very intelligent chicken somehow frequently escapes. She is friendly and likes to follow me around whenever I venture up to the backyard. Maybe she also likes me because I save all our compostable materials and feed them to her and her sisters?



So what do you think about eating locally? Have you or would you ever try it?

5 comments:

ginger said...

1. I was disappointed to read the text and discover that those weren't your backyard goats.

2. I wasn't surprised though.

3. You should have got the milk and made the yogurt. Buying yogurt is 4X as expensive as making it and making it is easy peasy.

4. This goes for cow yogurt too.

5. "It is impossible to eat really locally in the Utah wintertime." False. Run, don't walk to the library and pick up The Four Season Harvest by Eliot Coleman. Then thank me when you're eating from your garden next February.

Jen said...

I will definitely make the yogurt next time. I just need to buy a kitchen thermometer!

Excellent point about winter gardening. I need to pick that book up, big time. What I really meant to say was it was a little late in the game for me since I just read it and we're in February already. Next February, here I come!

llcall said...

I have a dream about eating locally more. I would love to have a nice garden, especially with berries growing. I adore berries. I would make them my forever healthy dessert if I could, but they are so darn expensive. Unfortunately, I don't have the constitution to garden myself since I have little stamina to begin with and I am especially sensitive to heat and light. I'm praying that Addison takes an interest in gardening and cooking -- all my problems will be solved!

ginger said...

No thermometer needed. Just heat it until bubbles form on the edges and then pour into jars. Let it cool until it is just warm and then add a sprinkle of yogourmet (not the whole package) or else a couple of spoonfuls of plain yogurt. Shake it up and put in a cooler. Fill with hot tap water. Let it sit for at least 6 hours. Done.

ginger said...

More recipes for you http://www.figandfauna.com/index.html?entry=simple-goat-cheese