Sunday, March 25, 2012

Learning Mindfulness

Photo from papertissue
.
How many of you have tried to meditate before? Maybe you sat in yogi position, with your thumb and first finger pinched together into a circle like Rafiki in The Lion King. Maybe you lit a candle. Maybe you failed miserably at it, like I did. I've tried, time and again, to make a ritual out of meditation and then never, ever stuck with it.
.
I've realized since that prayer actually works better for me than Buddhist meditation practices, but I think this is because I've just had more practice at it. Of course there are religous reasons for prayer, as in, you know, verbally communicating with God and sustaining your relationship with Him (and/or Her, as you will). But there are practical evidences that prayer is really good for people in a more physical sense. It manages stress levels and creates a sense of well-being in a person in much the same way that Buddhist meditation has been shown to do (I won't reference specific findings here, but there is on-going neuroscientific experimentation, much supported by the Dalai Lama by the way, that demonstrates the positive effects of Buddhist meditation).
.
I know I could work really hard at it and master the damn thing, but I'm too lazy. So imagine my delight when I discovered the lazy person's meditation technique.
.
It's called Mindfulness. Mindfulness has been called "one of the simplest meditation techniques and potentially the most revealing as it involves letting go of any desire to control your thoughts. Instead, you observe them with detachment as they arise. . ." (Roland 38). Essentially the idea is that we give our thoughts the significance they do, or more often don't, deserve. The idea is that you don't have to control your thoughts, you just have to stop letting them control you. Imagine that the mind is a barking dog. Instead of trying to quiet it, you get on with whatever you need to do and just let the dog bark because that is just what dogs do. Our minds are constantly bringing thoughts to the surface of our individual consciousness. That's just what minds do. It's our choice whether to pay credence to the thoughts and react accordingly.
.
One of my favorite things about mindfulness is that it isn't something you "set aside time" to do. You can do it all the time. One mindfulness exercise is that of eating. Instead of hurrying and preparing meals as quickly as possible and chomping them down, one can focus on the task at hand, in this example, eating an apple. You feel the texture of the apples you're slicing. Notice the color and the smell. Maybe you even pay attention to the sound of your knife slicing into the whiteness of the apple's flesh. Instead of swallowing the slices whole, as I'm (almost) wont to do, you chew slowly, focusing on the taste and texture of the apple slice. Feeding your body can be a meditative practice. I can only imagine the health implications.
.
The idea is that you can practice mindfulness periodically throughout the day until it becomes second nature. If I were to slow down I would realize that the majority of the time I am tense and anxious, ready to spring to the next task to be done. Of course tasks need to be done, but do they need to be done by an automaton? Do I really have anything to gain by doing tasks anxiously and absentmindedly?
.
I know this post is already text heavy, but I came across these helpful mindfulness questions today in a book called The Mindful Brain by Dan Siegel. The idea is that you answer with the traditional "almost never" to "almost always" range:
.
  • I perceive my feelings and emotions without having to react to them.
  • I watch my feelings without getting lost in them.
  • In difficult situations I can pause without immediately reacting.
  • When I have distressing thoughts or images I just notice them and let them go.
  • When I'm walking, I deliberately notice the sensations of my body moving.
  • When I take a shower or a bath, I stay alert to the sensations of water on my body.
  • I notice how foods and drinks affect my thoughts, bodily sensations, and emotions.
  • I pay attention to sensations, such as the wind in my hair or sun on my face.
  • I pay attention to sounds, like ticking clocks, birds chirping, or cars passing.
  • I notice the smells and aromas of things.
  • I intentionaly stay aware of my feelings.
  • I notice visual elements in art or nature, such as colors, shapes, textures, or patterns of light and shadow.
  • I pay attention to how my emotions affect my thoughts and behavior (or vice versa).
  • I find it difficult to stay focused on what's happening in the present.
  • It seems I am 'running on automatic' without much awareness of what I'm doing (93-94).

.

And there are more, but this is probably enough for now. I know mindfulness didn't make it onto my New Year's Resolution list, but it very well could have. Because I'm realizing that mindfulness is a big part of celebrating (the very prominent resolution of this, my year of 2012). Who wants to go to the trouble of cooking a nice meal if you're not even going to take time to be "in the moment" of eating it? Swallowing it whole? Being done in 5-10 minutes? Where's the fun in that? How else do you think it could play into celebrating? What ways do you think you'd like to practice mindfulness?

Sources:

Roland, Paul. How to Meditate. Ulysses Press, Berkeley 2000.

Siegel, Daniel J. The Mindful Brain. W.W. Norton and Co. NY, 2007.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah, living mindfully is definitely a talent or habit I would really like to develop. The opposite of you, it sounds like, when I pay attention to my feelings I am always looking for distraction to shirk off what I know I should be doing, mainly, living in the moment. What little progress I've made has been wonderful. zenhabits.net has some of my favorite writing about mindfulness, you should check it out.

That-one-Dani-girl said...

Mindfulness is always a good thing to bring to the table and I enjoyed your post! Meditation is hard for a lot of people...but just as you mentioned- the more you practice the easier it does become. We meditated every morning in my Asian religion class and in my yoga class as well. I have to say there are days I just didn't do or get into it, there were also days it helped me SO much. Also there are tons of different meditations/techniques, sometimes it takes a while to find the one that suits you. However when I actually attended a Buddhist monk led meditation I absolutely fell in love. We sat and meditated for 30 mins, followed by 30 mins of meditated walking placing one foot in front of the other, followed by another 30 minute led sitting meditation. You'd be surprised how much of a stress relief setting aside an hour and a half to essentially focus on nothing or just light and happiness is. I really enjoy listening to Ajahn Brahm talks on youtube- he is a humorous Mahayan sect monk down in Australia. It sounds semi-morbid but one thing that has really helped me with anxiety is his talk on "Uncertainty". One technique is to honestly just think of the worse thing that could possibly happen in every situation. Once you have thought of it- you will realize that even if it does happen- life still goes on! You would still deal with it, one way or another, so why worry. People die and bad things happen all the time- you can't be prepared for events- part of life is just accepting that. Anyway, hopefully I didn't ramble too much. I will leave you with one of my favorite quotes:

"After a few years of meditation practice we can even learn how to occasionally ignore ourselves. And what relief that can be!"
-Wes Nisker

llcall said...

Although I have not heard of Ajahn Brahm mentioned above, I actually naturally do a similar thing to what Dani is describing. Ever since I was a child, I would picture the ways in which I could die or be incapacitated in any given moment. This was also heightened by the times I almost did die and by being near when people close to me died. It sounds terribly morbid but I think it does serve the purpose that she described -- reminding me that I am not really in control and I just have to accept a lot of things. I have never been very good at official meditation/mindfulness/prayer type of activities. But I do think that my health problems have served some of the same purpose for me. I often think about what would happen if tomorrow, or the next minute, I couldn't really move anymore -- and it is all the more real and concrete because once, it was kind of like that (not paralysis, but not having the strength to move myself, needing a wheelchair etc.) I think those experiences remind me to be mindful of what a crazy, awesome gift it is to be able to move and think and talk.

llcall said...

P.S. I also read zenhabits.net -- not everything resonates with me but it has a lot of good reminders, along with his http://mnmlist.com/ blog.