Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Almost Self-Sabatoged

This post is full of news. One, I graduated with my BA. I've been working so hard for this moment since 2009 that now that it's over I'm nothing if not a little nonplussed at how anticlimactic the end has been. Anyone who has consistently read this blog knows my graduation is a long time coming. Don't believe me? Go to the side bar, click Things I've Written About and choose education. And those aren't the only education-related posts, thanks to my abysmal labelling consistency!

Two, you probably surmised from this post that we decided to move to Manhattan.  But you probably didn't know, thanks to this now-outdated post, that I would be doing a Master's program alongside Derrick. So, yes, I'm starting grad school this fall (I guess this means I'm a would-be grad student no longer and now need to update my About Me section).  The story is strange and fortuitous. Let me summarize:

I got a letter from Columbia University in February saying I had been accepted into their Negotiation and Conflict Resolution program. I yelled, jumped, and made a scene, so flattered I was to have been accepted anywhere, let alone Columbia. I got a few more acceptance letters while we waited for word from Derrick's programs. Long story short, I gave up hope that Derrick had been accepted to Columbia, and sent an informal email to one of my contacts there saying, essentially, "thanks, but no thanks."  I never heard back, but didn't think much of it. The day after I sent that email, we heard that Derrick actually had been accepted into Columbia's Clinical Psychology program. By that time I had decided to turn down my first choice of Conflict Resolution programs in D.C. for BYU's Sociology program. 

When Derrick made it clear that he really wanted to do Columbia's program, well, I was pissed and not a very nice person to be around for a while.  I mean, what the hell? The audacity of the man! But then I remembered how much Derrick had sacrificed to help me get my BA and that it was kinda sorta his turn to work on his career.  Gotta be fair, right? So I accepted my fate of postponing grad school for a few more years, left for Jordan, and didn't really let myself re-evaluate my acceptance into, and subsequent rejection, of the program at Columbia. 

Then a few weeks ago I received an unexpected email from their admissions office that basically said, "Hey, we never heard from you. Still wanna do the program?" and I was like, "wow, really?" Derrick and I talked about it and I thought, "what better time to go into student debt?" and so now I'm officially enrolled as of today. What are the odds that this story could actually happen? To me? Next to none. But it's true. Feel free to wish me and Derrick both luck as we embark on our respective programs, juggling a 3 year old, trying to dodge debt capitalization, and dealing with Big Apple culture shock.

Love to all.

6 comments:

Nancy said...

YIPPIE WAHOOOOOOOOOO!!! That's all I have to say =D

alisa fawn said...

That is wonderful and soooooo exciting! What an adventure you have in front of you!

Shawna said...

Congrats on graduating and Welcome (almost) to the east coast! Good luck in both of your programs! I suspect you're gonna at least like NY, if not love it :)

Dan and Kristin said...

Congratulations! I'm so excited for you! It sounds like it's meant to be - and if anyone can juggle a toddler and school, it's you two!

prometheus said...

congrats! just be careful when you're juggling toddlers... they're deceptively fragile.

Anna Peterson said...

Wow! That is crazy and exciting all at the same time. Best of luck to the both of you!