I've contemplated recording some, for me at least, formative family stories; recountings that seemed to define a quality of my family's, or that made me pause and think. Here's a doozy for you, and I even have a contemporary equivalent to boot:
I was playing a card game with my inlaws the other night. This may seem archaic, but I was never, ever allowed to play with face cards growing up. I didn't learn what to do with a Joker, Queen, King or Ace until well after I moved out. Like much of my family's history, the rule about not playing with face cards began somewhere in the not-so-recorded annals of Mormon history. I'm not sure exactly what General Authority spoke out against them (maybe a reader could enlighten me?), but my great-grandfather on my mom's side felt that playing with them lead to gambling and other forms of licentiousness. My grandfather and mom passed the tradition down, referring to obscure GA commentary on the subject of face cards. So we played our games with Rook cards and I never really knew the difference. It was a deprivation without much fanfare or consequence.
I mentioned to my inlaws my former ignorance of the use of face cards, and told them a story my maternal grandfather tells with a glint of pride in his eye:
My grandfather grew up in Bicknell, Utah during the Great Depression. My great-grandfather owned a cattle ranch and hired hands to do work for him. One day, with my grandfather in tow, my great-grandfather checked on some of his hands who were staying in a tent out with the cattle. He walked into the tent unannounced and found them playing with face cards. Apparently my great-grandfather had warned them at the outset to never play with face cards while they worked for him, or they would be dismissed. After all, my grandfather adds, my great-grandfather had quite a few children, and boys old enough to get caught up in a gambling habit.
True to his word, my great-grandfather told the men they were fired. One of the men, my grandfather remembers, started crying, saying that he had a wife and children he was supporting with his work at the ranch. "I told you!" my grandfather remembers my great-grandfather saying. Both men were dismissed.
In Jordan this summer, I met a formidable Austrian who worked for a security company. His was the business of hiring and managing local Jordanians to do guardwork. One man, he said, after a warning, fell asleep again on the job and my Austrian friend caught him in the act a second time. The man begged to keep his position, referencing his wife and many children as well. "What will I tell my children?" the Jordanian man asked. "Tell them they have a sh***y father who isn't willing to provide for them", my friend responded. Interestingly, the Austrian had a glint of pride similar to my grandfather's when he told this particular story.
In response to my grandfather's story, my father-in-law responded, using choice words, that maybe my great-grandfather should've pulled the rod out of his butt instead of forcing other people to live the way he did. Derrick's grandma and I responded with an "but aren't people always the product of their time?" argument.
You could argue that both sets of men getting the "pink slip" had been warned. I can understand that argument. The part that makes me most uncomfortable with both stories is the apparent pride and righteous indignation accompanying the utter lack of mercy. Justice or mercy? Spare the rod, spoil the child? or aren't we all beggars? What do you think?
Do any of you have stories in your family that have made you ponder your family's (and your own) rightness?
I was playing a card game with my inlaws the other night. This may seem archaic, but I was never, ever allowed to play with face cards growing up. I didn't learn what to do with a Joker, Queen, King or Ace until well after I moved out. Like much of my family's history, the rule about not playing with face cards began somewhere in the not-so-recorded annals of Mormon history. I'm not sure exactly what General Authority spoke out against them (maybe a reader could enlighten me?), but my great-grandfather on my mom's side felt that playing with them lead to gambling and other forms of licentiousness. My grandfather and mom passed the tradition down, referring to obscure GA commentary on the subject of face cards. So we played our games with Rook cards and I never really knew the difference. It was a deprivation without much fanfare or consequence.
I mentioned to my inlaws my former ignorance of the use of face cards, and told them a story my maternal grandfather tells with a glint of pride in his eye:
My grandfather grew up in Bicknell, Utah during the Great Depression. My great-grandfather owned a cattle ranch and hired hands to do work for him. One day, with my grandfather in tow, my great-grandfather checked on some of his hands who were staying in a tent out with the cattle. He walked into the tent unannounced and found them playing with face cards. Apparently my great-grandfather had warned them at the outset to never play with face cards while they worked for him, or they would be dismissed. After all, my grandfather adds, my great-grandfather had quite a few children, and boys old enough to get caught up in a gambling habit.
True to his word, my great-grandfather told the men they were fired. One of the men, my grandfather remembers, started crying, saying that he had a wife and children he was supporting with his work at the ranch. "I told you!" my grandfather remembers my great-grandfather saying. Both men were dismissed.
In Jordan this summer, I met a formidable Austrian who worked for a security company. His was the business of hiring and managing local Jordanians to do guardwork. One man, he said, after a warning, fell asleep again on the job and my Austrian friend caught him in the act a second time. The man begged to keep his position, referencing his wife and many children as well. "What will I tell my children?" the Jordanian man asked. "Tell them they have a sh***y father who isn't willing to provide for them", my friend responded. Interestingly, the Austrian had a glint of pride similar to my grandfather's when he told this particular story.
In response to my grandfather's story, my father-in-law responded, using choice words, that maybe my great-grandfather should've pulled the rod out of his butt instead of forcing other people to live the way he did. Derrick's grandma and I responded with an "but aren't people always the product of their time?" argument.
You could argue that both sets of men getting the "pink slip" had been warned. I can understand that argument. The part that makes me most uncomfortable with both stories is the apparent pride and righteous indignation accompanying the utter lack of mercy. Justice or mercy? Spare the rod, spoil the child? or aren't we all beggars? What do you think?
Do any of you have stories in your family that have made you ponder your family's (and your own) rightness?

4 comments:
Very interesting stories. We used Rook cards in my family when I was younger but then one year on our drive between UT and CA, my mom stopped in Vegas to find out if they had any free things for teachers. She came home with about 30 decks of face cards and 50 dealers' dice -- obscure GA commentary be damned. :)
But your questions made me think about a different story. For my undergraduate research, I studied the Japanese-American internment and the civil rights activism stemming from it. My Grandpa, one of my biggest supporters, grew up in Utah, not too far from UT internment camp. He also served in WWII. One day we got into a somewhat heated conversation about the internment. Of course, I was full of my fiery opposition to it -- we know from later study and examination that there was no validity to many of the claims the gov't made justifying it. But my Grandpa made a good point too, namely, "You don't understand how scary that time was. How our whole lives were shaped by that war. How fearful we felt related to real threats." Deseret Storm, Iraq War, 9/11 notwithstanding, I think it is true that our generation does not know what that is like. Most of us have not seen war and fear shape our daily lives -- I know I have not. Even though I didn't change my position on the internment, I definitely gained more respect for that "product of their time" thing.
I remember being reprimanded for picking up a deck of face cards by my Grandpa Washburn...he was pretty outspoken about it, so there's your obscure GA reference ;)
As far as Parenting is concerned I do think it's important to follow through with your threats. To often I see "If you don't stop screaming I'm not going to buy you anything!" and then 5min of screaming later "Ok fine! You can have all three candybars!"
A friend told me of a family trip as a child. 3 hours into their journey her Parent's threatened them with "If you kids start quarreling one more time, we're turning the car around and heading back home." And when her and her siblings started arguing again, her parents really did pull off and turn around. She said it was the quietest 3 hour drive ever, but that she thinks they had a greater respect for their parents because of it.
I think the same rules probably apply to an employer/employee relationship, but they should be administered with reticence. The punishment should be just as hard, if not harder, for the punisher (in having to enforce it), as it is for the rule-breaker to bear. If that isn't the case, and someone delights in dealing out justice, they may indeed be guilty of having a big a** mote in their eye.
Bruce R. McConkie in Mormon Doctrine said something like this: "cards of the devil."
I always knew you were trouble, Jen.
:)
I love playing cards even though I don't know a lot of games.
It's interesting how my perspective on that first story changed with me over the years. When I was young and was told that story by Grandpa I remember thinking that of course they were all fired. You get in trouble like that when you don't follow rules. As I got older and started to understand money, responsibilities and that not everything is black and white I was bothered when told the same story. Where was the mercy? Why weren't they given a warning...put on some kind of probation. Even talked to sternly. Studies show that authoritarian management in the work place doesn't really work. It produces low morale and a lack of trust. Just my two cents.
Post a Comment