Saturday, November 10, 2012

Kindness

Why do we get married if not to be with someone who will be kind to us? 

Derrick has always impressed me as a sensitive, kind person. Last night I was reminded of this while we shopped for produce at the Westside Market stands. As sometimes happens in New York City, a homeless man came up to Derrick and started telling him about how rough the past few days have been. He asked Derrick for money, and Derrick apologized to him for not having any. The man then asked Derrick if he had a metrocard so he could ride the subway and get out of the cold for a while. Derrick surprised the man by immediately handing it over.

At that moment I was so grateful to be married to someone who so closely resembles some of my favorite fictional heroes. Atticus Finch. Father Gabriel from The Mission. A reformed Jean Valjean. Men who are sensitive, kind, and willing to give.

Today I am thankful for Derrick, a husband who is kind to me, and especially to others from whom he has no reasonable expectation of reciprocity.  

3 comments:

Kjell Crowe said...

what an amazing guy.
Kindness is the topic of my lesson I'm teaching tomorrow for Relief Society. I might just have to share this story if you're cool with that.
:)
I'm glad you and your family have been safe.

Unknown said...

So sweet. And, also a reflection of you, as my Grandfather always said "we are the company we keep."

Nancy said...

Very sweet. Made me tear up. And I love the picture of your Grandma B below.