Saturday, January 23, 2010

today i will...

Like most people I have one little thing that makes me feel better no matter how bad my day is and for me that thing is book shopping. Finding a good deal on a book is my Prozac. So a few months ago I was suffering from the doldrums and stumbled upon this delightful little book and fell in love with it. The authors, Eileen and Jerry Spinelli, have perused masses of children's literature, taken one excerpt or quote for each day from those masses and attached their own inspiring advice aimed towards young adults, but applicable to everyone.

I'll often read it as a part of my morning ritual and I read this for January 3rd:

"'There's something about a blank page that makes me tingle.'
-Jazmin's Notebook by Nikki Grimes
"You can take those words-a blank page-literally, or you can take them to mean any aspect of your life that is empty, a blank space. We all have blank pages in our lives: a thank-you or an apology not yet expressed, a forgiveness not yet offered, a challenge not yet attempted, a vegetable not yet tasted. Do the blank pages in your life make you tingle? Or retreat?
"Goal:
There's a stack of blank pages in my life.
Some of them, frankly, don't excited me.
But others do. Today I'll pick one out and fill it in. "
-
I would add that sometimes it isn't up to us to select those blank pages, sometimes life takes a hand. For instance, we've been suspecting for a while that Derrick may have a gluten-intolerance or a mild to moderate form of celiac disease. This means that we now avoid wheat/oat products and are looking for substitutes to our previously static recipe list. We feel, however, that instead of solely focusing on what we can't eat and trying our best to substitute (rice bread? it's just plain gross, sorry people) we're going to use this opportunity to write on a blank page of culinary worlds not yet explored. The great news? There are lots of ethnic foods we have no idea how to cook and that use no wheat. So today we went to an Asian market and bought some of this...
and with a few other items
made this delectable yellow curry,
sans gluten!So wish us luck as we write on this blank page in our lives, and if you have any gluten-free recipes, 'ethnic' or otherwise, please feel free to write on our page too!

oh, and if you get a chance, buy "today i will" because hopefully you'll love it as much as I do.

5 comments:

Kari said...

So a couple years ago my older brother started getting all these red bumps all over his body. The doctor told his he was alergic to gluten. After a year of avoiding gluten and taking medication, he still had the bumps. Come to find out, it was bed bugs! Gross! Anyways, I know at Maceys they sale a ton of gluten-free products; noodles, cereal, cake mixes, etc. Also, as a cooking teacher we sometimes encounter this same thing. Here are some websites I got from some other teachers. The website
http://kidshealth.com has a list of foods to avoid and www.celiac.com has a nice collection of gluten-free recipes.
A recipe book I was recommended is "Life Tastes Good Again." http://www.eatingglutenfree.com/ It was written by 2 Utah county woman who make recipes that are old standards. http://creatingfromscratch.blogspot.com also has some gluten-free recipes. Oh ya, at Maceys they offer cooking classes and I've seen a few that teach how to cook gluten-free. What a challenge! Hope this helps a little.

Jen said...

Wow, thanks! I only knew about one recipe website so far, this will help a lot! Thanks, Kari.

Becca said...

Since becoming a gluten free household, has Derrick seen improvements? Somebody told me once that pretzels are gluten free. I've never actually looked at the ingredients. It also seems like there are a lot of cereals that advertise being gluten free.

Nancy said...

You could talk to my Mom. Jay's recipes are pretty gross though cuz they are gluten/soy/cornstarch/milk free. I've seen a gluten free section at Safeway before, and whole food places like Trader Joe's offer a lot of varieties. I have long suspected that Edward is Lactose intolerant, but he doesn't care, he eats ice cream and then feels crappy later! I try and help his stubbornness by substituting when I cook. The one thing that concerns me is that all the Celiac disease individuals I have known lost a ton of weight once they restricted gluten, and Derrick is ALREADY so thin because of his height! Better find some fattening recipes ; )

Kari said...

Okay, so I just saw this and naturally I thought of you.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Top-10-Recipes/Top-10-Gluten-Free-Recipes?pmcode=SLA11VH049&_mid=453300&_rid=453300.383200.559354