Thursday, April 15, 2010

An Evening of Gluten Free, an Evening to Remember

We've been eating gluten-free together for several months now, and it's been relatively painless. A few months into our GF experiment I decided to learn how to make chocolate mousse, Derrick's favorite dessert. I found a great recipe on allrecipes.com, a recipe shared by my friend, Lisa. I had always thought of mousse-making as a very laborious and delicate process (which it seems, at first), but I'm pleased to say that, like most things, it becomes increasingly easier. So follow along as we explain the steps to you.
1) So this isn't exactly an official step, but eating it with strawberries is fun. Plus, they were on sale.
2) Here we go. We (Okay, I) decided to go with white chocolate for the very first time. I've always had a major penchant for it and we haven't tried it yet. Grab a bag of chocolate morsels, doesn't matter what kind, and melt it slowly on the stove with 2tbl. butter and 1/4 c. water. After you've melted it all the way, set it aside for 10 minutes, allowing it to cool.
3) In a separate pan, whisk together 1/4c. water, 2 tbl. sugar and 5 egg yolks. Slowly heat it until it reaches 160 degrees and keep it at that temp for 1-2 minutes. Do I seem like the kind of person who'd keep a thermometer around the kitchen to you? If you think so, you're grossly mistaken. I usually do this part by sticking my finger periodically into the egg mixture and guessing. It's worked so far.
4) Whisk the egg mixture into the now-cooled chocolate.
5) Set it into a sink full of ice-cold water and let it cool for 5-10 minutes.
6) This part works best if you have a handy and helpful husband around (how's that for alliteration?). Whip a pint of whipping cream until it's as stiff as you can get it. We added a touch of vanilla.
7) After the chocolate has cooled, fold the whipped cream into the chocolate and continue folding until smooth.

8) Enjoy! This is the easiest part.
We got a little carried away...
But we harbor no regrets.


With recipes like this, who needs wheat?

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I love your hair that length -super cute! My grandpa is the king of making fruit salads, and my job was always to cream the whipping cream. He always thought I over whipped it and would say, "WHOOOA, you're turning it into butter over there!" Good memories. I may have to go on a gluten free diet (minus the mousse) after my baby. I've gained 20 lbs already and I still have 4 months to go...has me kinda concerned. You're turning into quite the chef ; )