Friday, April 23, 2010

Up the garden path

Since I woke up at 5:30 this morning and couldn't get back to sleep, I thought, what better way to use this time than to do a blog post about our garden's progress?

This little Squirt loves the outdoors, springtime, and watching Mommy and Daddy hard at work, which is perfect since we spent a few hours last Saturday at my Great-Aunt's house. As I've said before in a previous post, she's been gracious enough to let us use the growboxes in her backyard so we can grow some fresh, cheap vegetables. What a wonderful woman!

Here we are:

pulling weeds and turning soil (with an oh-so-professional shoveling technique).


My awesome cousin, Harold, also rumagged in the shed and helped us vastly improve our composting system. We now have some larger containers that allow drainage at the bottom, as well as some soil to layer with our compost.
After turning the soil, it was Derrick's job (self-assigned, by the way) to find some worms to put in with the compost. Having worms in compost really helps speed up the process. These lucky worms are able to eat in a way that very few worms enjoy.


Aunt Irene was able to get outside for a bit to join us. Taking these pictures was her idea. I think she did a great job.

Our peas have finally surfaced and are making progress. In May we'll be planting zucchini, summer squash, strawberries, cucumbers and in June we'll be planting tomatoes, pumpkins, peppers and watermelons. We can't wait!

5 comments:

Michelle Jones said...

Oh, I am so glad you guys are doing that in Grandma's backyard. It would probably kill her to know that there wasn't a garden growing back there.

Way to go!

Nancy said...

Good luck with your garden! It looks great! I missed the spring planting season here (Feb), so I may have to shoot for a winter garden in Aug. I want a salsa garden, and then to learn how to bottle it afterwards. Yum ;P

Becca said...

That is so great that Derrick is into the gardening too. That makes it so much more fun. I'll have to get some advice from you, because I want to start one too, but I don't even know how to get started. We have a major problem with rabbits eating everyone's gardens.

Dorey said...

Thanks for the laughs the other day! That was hilarious. :D

Your daughter is a doll and the garden looks fun! I need to get out in my yard too. :D

Kjell Crowe said...

a garden. that's awesome. I don't think I have the patience for a garden.
I was looking at all of your pictures from when you were back east on facebook. It looked like an amazing place to be. Jealous!