
Because I'm a dedicated member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and a self proclaimed "Mormon", my blog may highlight aspects of my life or attitudes that can be attributed to Mormonism. One of these, and one I think is very admirable, is the idea of Provident Living. The sum total of this idea can be found in self-reliance and emergency preparedness. For those of you who are mormons or who know mormons well, you may already know that this includes food storage: a surplus of food consistently kept in the home in case of catastrophe, economic or otherwise. This also includes a 72-hour kit in case of environmental disaster. But Provident Living also details the necessity of wisely taking care of our personal health, spirituality and finances while also taking advantage of employment and educational opportunities, thus lessening our chances of being reliant on others. What a great idea, right? But because so many women who share my faith are dedicated homemakers, the idea of further education and employment can seem out of reach, exhausting, or even oppositional to their familial goals.
I recently heard this startling statistic from one of my BYU professors: about 80% of mormon women are single, either because they haven't had the opportunity or inclination to marry, are widowed or divorced. I was shocked (though this statistic hasn't been verified by the reliable source itself, so until I see it with my own eyes let's just say I was shocked but dubious as well). So it seems women in my church, either out of choice or necessity have had to do some serious re-thinking in terms of career-preparedness.
Though I haven't received a lot of verbal flack for my tenacious pursuit of my undergraduate degree and ambitious preparation for graduate school while also caring for a small child, I've wondered at times how many unspoken thoughts have trailed through others' minds about whether or not I have my "priorities straight". Perhaps I shouldn't even waste the energy it takes to think about this, but it nevertheless happens from time to time. All I can say to those who may think this is: what a crock!
To me, a woman pursuing her education and heightening her earning power is just another extension of provident living. Why wait for undesirable, tragic events to impell us to become breadwinners? And since the unthinkable likelihood of my husband dying in a traffic accident is on par or much greater than some cataclysmic natural disaster causing me to pull out my food storage or 72 hour kit, I think I'm doing my part to become a "provident liver". Of course, just like other emergency preparations, a desire to increase one's earning power can be taken to extremes ("work double shifts? why, yes!"), and, of course, getting multiple college degrees isn't the only or most important way to become a provident liver, I think it is important, appropriate and completely justified for women to pursue their educational and career goals in order to benefit themselves and their families.
6 comments:
Was this inspired by our talk the other day? :)
I love what you have said and agree with all of it!
Can I re-post this on my blog and facebook?
ps. So far, I have never been chastised by anyone after they have found out I was continuing my education.
Thanks Jen, this is just the motivation I need as I study to take state boards. :)
I never received any criticism either during my schooling and I still don't get any as I prepare to start my career. Quite the opposite in fact. :)
Is increased earning power really the ticket to providence? Is provident living having money or the ability to make money? More likely than a traffic accident or major natural disaster is a personal economic problem (job-loss, inability to find employment post-graduation, etc...). If our time and money go an education that will give skills that are limited to things we can do for a paycheck...what happens when we don't have one. To the extent we limit our life skills, we are vulnerable and completely dependent on employers. Perhaps, instead of finding ways for women to work outside of the home, finding ways to thrive while keeping husbands home will prove more fruitful in fostering financial independence.
Ginny, I definitely agree with some of your arguments. Does provident living mean putting all our eggs in one basket? Is it really just about money? Absolutely not. If, for example, both partners in a marriage make a substantial amount of money, but spend it as soon as they make it, they are obviously not great examples of living in a provident manner.
Far be it from me to tell all women the one way to live providently. I don't think there's a "one size fits all". Rather, it should be based on families and individuals. Something I've always admired about you is your ability to learn new skills. Whoever says skills that only directly affect the GDP are worthwhile is a fool.
However, I think preparing to become professionally viable is a suitable method for many women to cushion themselves for the worst that may happen, but that doesn't mean I support it for all women in all circumstances and by any means necessary. I think it's sad when women are casted as "selfish" when they choose this model of provident living. I don't think taking women outside the home is "the" solution, but for some, it may be a solution to prevent future disaster or dependency. I think that women who are desirous and who feel right about pursuing educational and career goals should do so without guilt, knowing it may be of substantial benefit to themselves, their families and their communities.
I hope I didn't come off sounding like a feminist rhetorician who thinks all women "should" do this or that, because I certainly try to ignore such rhetoric in my own personal decisions :)
I think Education is always worth pursuing, especially since it can benefit us for eternity, and not just this life. However, career development is something I think should be carefully contemplated as I will be held accountable for how I use my time, and pursuing some options usually means sacrificing in other areas. Ultimately it's a decision made by relying on the Lord.
That said, it is a big pet peeve of mine when girls plan on attending school "just until they get married" with no other goal in mind, or when housewives without any children sit at home and watch soap operas all day while they wait to get pregnant.
And while I'm ranting about all the uncomprehending chicks I've come across, I also think it's super important to look at the demand vs debt for your education. Don't take out $100 grand in student loans to become a school teacher, or English major, when employment and salary is low, and you'll spend your whole life in debt trying to pay it back. And don't pay to learn a trade you could learn by entering straight into that field. (I'm thinking of Dental Assisting -some programs are like $10,000 in tuition, when you can just get trained on the job since there's no certification required.) :P
Sorry, guess I have strong feelings on this subject. I should've just done my own post on this instead of taking up so much of your space!
I'm very proud of you and Becca and all the hard work you've done to reach your goals. It's very admirable how you've juggled studying and being awesome amazing Mothers!
I simply couldn't resist posting on this subject as it is one I also feel strongly about. (Jen -- I hope you're not rolling your eyes thinking, why did I add Derrick's weird cousin?)
Anyhow...good blog, I agree pursuing higher education in whatever form is a wonderful thing to do even if it's a struggle. It also provides great security or great future opportunities for when your children grow older.
Ginger I don't quite understand some of your points. Getting an education is limiting yourself and making you rely on your employer? I know many people who have graduated and had a variety of career options just due to having a "degree", not even the subject. Education is a lifelong pursuit of bettering ourselves and becoming more intelligent - so really, why not? On the contrary not educating yourself is limiting your life skills. Also if job loss happens there is a much higher chance of getting various job offers and a stable way to provide for your family, as opposed to someone without a degree scraping by. Things happen and we don't know why, people shouldn't lead a blind life thinking accidents hopefully won't happen to them, being prepared is most beneficial.
I'm also not quite sure how getting a higher education or career is related to earning power? Sure some people let it go to their heads, but certainly not every career minded woman sees herself as some powerhouse. Women can be powerful figures in the home or any other setting. I agree the world tends to emphasize and value career women, but its your choice whether you yourself subscribe to that view as well, I see many mothers as powerful figures.
I see nothing wrong with both people in a marriage contributing financially or having one as the main homemaker, male or female. The last bit of your statement seems to say that its better to be at home supporting the husband which may reap greater financial independence -- but that can only be achiever personally, if your husband was somehow out of the picture, how long would it be until you were no longer financially independent?
I, by no means, see choosing to be a homemaker as a "bad choice", I just tend to agree with Jen that every couple and person is different. Career minded women shouldn't look down on homemakers, and homemakers shouldn't think career women with families are all out for money and power ignoring their duty. Both sides shouldn't see the other as "wasting" precious time. The great thing is we all get to choose who we are and what paths we take.
I am still young, but I plan on getting my degree and working for quite a while, having career and experience to fall back on if I ever choose the homemaking role.
I probably just sound like another young crazy feminist in your mind, but I honestly didn't mean to offend you in any way. Just commenting. I respect everyone's rights to their own views and thoughts. =)
Post a Comment