I think some people became confused with the message. Much of the news coverage we received conducted interviews between shots of the women getting their makeup done and some viewers felt this was antithetical to our message. However, our message was that women could be beautiful sans hair; that without hair, women are able to focus their own idea of beauty in other places. Because of this, I wasn't bothered at all by the seeming "contradiction". Cat's goal was to have us look feminine so that anyone simply walking by the gallery would know without a doubt that these were women with shaved heads. Thus, we wore sundresses and sported a very light amount of makeup.
A very funny, intense picture of myself post-makeup. Honestly, I'm so glad I participated. Truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience...or so my parents hope :)

Almost ready for the shoot. This is a friend I made during the shoot, Alana. Behind her is the owner of the furniture store we were shooting at. I wish I'd gotten a picture of her bathroom. On second thought, a photo wouldn't do it justice. She had political cartoons, old-school advertisements and other bits and scraps of newspaper articles literally papering her walls. Very cool looking, regardless of your politics (she was an unabashed Obama-supporter/ Bush-hater). I thoroughly enjoyed the hours I was able to spend lolling about in her store.

If you haven't seen or read some of the press coverage, you'll find the links below.
Fox 13 coverage.
Channel 2 coverage.
An article by IN magazine.
I am excited beyond words for the gallery event which will take place November 19th at the Hive Gallery in Trolley Square from 6-10pm. This is your offical invitation, if you're able to make it.
3 comments:
I wish I could make it! Sounds amazing! I laughed at the part "...at least my parents hope so." I take it they aren't fans of the shaved head look? I remember you saying you wanted to grow your hair out long when you were little, and your Mom told you "No, you're like me. We just look better with short hair." ; )
From the glimpses I saw of the shoot the pictures should be amazing! I'm glad you explained the contradiction though, since that thought did pop into my head. Your explanation makes sense though :)
You go girl. I'm all about no hair. My head was shaved when Chuck and I met and I've had it super short several times since we got married. Sometimes my disinterest in doing my hair is outweighed by my disinterest in having it cut, so it gets long... I also haven't touched makeup in over a decade. I love being me.
Post a Comment