Friday, November 5, 2010

The Best Part of my Semester

My Shelfari has been a bit heavy on Toni Morrison this semester. This can be attributed mostly to my Senior Course with my all-time-favorite professor, Dr. C. I just love this woman. I took her Women's Studies in Lit. class last Winter and have been a devotee of hers ever since. After taking African-American Lit. with her this last summer I was a bit heartbroken that I wouldn't be able to do her Toni Morrison Senior Course in the Spring (since I'll be in Arizona doing a field study/internship). After telling her of my distress, she suggested I do the coursework with her one-on-one this Fall and then we could sneak it pass the administration come April. I couldn't have been happier!

Our group now consists of two other students in addition to myself, but the atmosphere continues to be intimate and fun. Dr. C is the consummate hostess and we often meet at her house for breakfast whilst we discuss the books and articles we've been reading. This morning, she treated me and my groupmates to breakfast at Mimi's Cafe to celebrate their recent test-taking ventures (N took the LSAT and is preparing for the GRE; C has taken both the English specific and general GRE; looks like I'm a GRE-less loner, until next year anyway).

Dr. C is extraordinarily intelligent, as well as funny, compassionate and wise. Needless to say, Friday mornings have been and will continue to be the best part of my courseload this semester.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aren't you worried about the authorities finding out about this? I heard they have spies comb the blogosphere for BYU student posts :) No, seriously, that sounds like an amazingly good time...I wish that were the best part of MY semester!

Nancy said...

You're coming to AZ for an internship!?! Wahoo!!!

C. said...

you're lucky to be a GRE-less lone, but i'm glad our class is the favorite part of your semester.