Saturday, March 19, 2011

writersblok

Inexplicably, I found my daughter playing with a little sheet of paper with writersblok written on the top and an explanation of their company's philosophy. Not only did I like what I read and what I've found online, I also took it as a sort of sign. I have no idea how the paper came to be in my house, or how it fell into Squirty's hands. It's likely that a babysitter left it on accident, but to me it was providential since I've been feeling, quite unexplainably, that I really need to write more.

I've started a private blog journal which works for me on a certain level, but there's something about having a tangible journal that is also so fulfilling. I bought an enormous, unlined journal as soon as I came home from my mission that I'm still trying to get through. The book is thick and the pages are large and so the task of filling out every page has been quite the chore. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm learning what types of writing products work for me and my big.red.heavy.journal just doesn't fit the bill. I can't even begin to describe the ways I've changed since 2008, when I started the journal, and I'm still stuck trying to package the "new me" into a book that just feels old and outdated now. So this is a really long and boring way of saying I like the writersblok journals because they make me feel comfortable with the change I hope I've been undergoing and also the idea of completion is really really appealing to me right now; this weird, inescapable feeling that some part of me won't be complete until I fill out every page of that big.red.heavy.journal makes me definitely want to use smaller journals in the future. Can anyone relate to this?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your need to write more seems perfectly explainable to me...it seems critical to capture changes as they occur, record the process you are going through.

As for me, I suck at hard copy journals et al. A blog is the only regular record I've kept for years (and that took me about two years to make semi-regular); I'm sure there's something narcissistic in that fact, but that's cool with me.

Elizabeth said...

I think you can have different journals for different things..

Mikaila bought me a big.black.thick.journal way back when that was lovely, but that I abandoned because it didn't fit my writing style. It was unlined and wide. But I just realized the other day that it might fit my scrap booking style, so I may return to it. I think that every journaling medium has its place.

Last year and the year before I had a lot of success with typing my journal. I got in a lot of volume this way (60+ single spaced pages). But this year I'm returning to a thin lined thing to record the high-level highlights. It makes me more concise and poignant.

I think you might like the 5 Year Journal. The HTML tagging isn't working here- but google it!

Nancy said...

I hate writing period. I think it started in 3rd grade when I entered a penmanship contest and everyone in class laughed at me and said "You're for sure not going to win! You have the worst handwriting in the class!" I've been so pleased that we abandoned paper charting at work and do all our notes on the computer now. My journal in HS mainly consisted of pictures I drew or clipped from magazines that outlined the event/expressed my feelings. Now my journaling is my blog. Experiences that are too private to post I've been saving as drafts. When I type stuff flows out, but with pen and paper I stumble over words. I guess my hands can't keep up with my erratic thoughts. I think overall journaling's overrated and you should write more on your book ;) I'd love to find out what happens to those orphans someday!