Friday, April 29, 2011

Internship, Week One

First week down. Just however-many-more-we-have-to-go. I'm not really keeping track, and honestly, if the following weeks are anything like this last week time. will. fly. So busy, but a lot of learning, a lot of listening, a lot of writing, a lot of printing, a lot of typing, a lot of running around. You get the idea.

The longer I'm here, the more I'm convinced the education system is a mini Washington D.C. Everything is so political. Funding here today, gone tomorrow, based on policy, public sentiment, educational trends or politically-correct thinking that happens to be sweeping through the consciousness of the majority. Even the most important and student-conscious programs have to bare their teeth and roll up their sleeves to make sure that squeaky wheel is heard. Every program director is a lobbyist. Thank goodness they exist.

Consent forms for our focus groups are trickling in. So far student excitement about being pulled out of class for an hour and a half has not outweighed their reticence of putting the extra energy into having a parent sign a consent form and bringing it back to the school. Despite that it does appear we will have some students to work with next week. What a relief!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, the politics. My mom is a teacher-turned-administrator and my brother teaches high school, just two of the reasons why I despise teacher-bashing. But what you are describing is one aspect of being a teacher (or a teacher that runs a special program, or whatnot) that is invisible to most people -- just how often the job description/requirements/teaching methods/curricular materials change because of funding changes, legislative efforts, etc. It can be so counterproductive at times and undercut progress from year to year.

I hope you keep giving updates! I'm excited to hear as things progress! Good luck next week!