Monday, April 18, 2011

Product Review: The Diva Menstrual Cup




When I posted this a few months ago, I got a couple of "hell no's". I was also, however, extended the challenge of trying it out and letting you know what I thought. I'm following through on that challenge. If anyone reading this is squeamish or just plain not interested in female menstruation (I'm looking at you, Dad), please stop reading this and wait a week or so for a different post to appear. The rest of you, here we go:



First of all, I can't believe I've never heard of menstrual cups before I ran into that wiki-how months ago. Considering that they are, in fact, safer than tampons, much less wasteful, and are infinitely less expensive over time, I really didn't have to think too hard before taking the plunge and buying one online here. Because I've given birth vaginally, and am on the downhill slope to thirty, I bought the Model 2 cup.


I also decided I couldn't resist calculating my normal menstruating costs, which is being done by memory, so there's some give or take here. Historically, I really hated cardboard applicators, so my tampon of choice was Pearl which on Walmart's site goes for $8.68 and I could use one of these boxes to get me through about a period and a half. I also would buy Always pads for about $6.97 every two or three months. Low estimates show that my menstrual costs would hit at about $96 every year. The Diva Cup, which I bought for $32, not including shipping, lasts for about 7 years. Wowza--I just saved myself $640!


It's true that it might take some time to adjust. It certainly did for me. In fact, after the first few days I wasn't sure I could take it anymore. Luckily I stuck with it, and by the second period I'd figured it out. First of all, if you do decide to buy it, cut off the stem and file down the edges. Trust me on this. Secondly, strengthen your muscles down there by doing some Kegel exercises. Not to get too TMI on you here, but mine kept sliding down but the week before my second trial period I focused on doing Kegel exercises and it worked much better. Thirdly, wear a pad at night, just in case. Or just wear tampons at night, if you prefer. You'll still be reducing your costs and the amount of waste you're putting in the landfill if you wear four tampons a month instead of however many you'd normally use. I also highly recommend that you watch this video . Scratch that. Watching this video is imperative to your understanding of how this fascinating, yet simple, piece of technology works.


I'm being completely honest when I say that, yes, switching to the Diva cup was an adjustment, but I leak a lot less, and my periods are pretty guilt free now. Plus, I never have to worry about stashing enough tampons or pads to get me through the day or trying to remember how long ago I inserted my last tampon. Although I'm not ruling out tampons completely, I plan on buying my daughter(s) diva cups fo sho.


My review? **** stars. Make the switch; the planet (and your wallet) will thank you!

16 comments:

Abby Killam said...

ummm this might make me sound stupid but whatever- how exactly does this thing work?? You just stick it up there and it catches all of the blood? how do you get it out without a monumental mess and how often do you do that? details I know but hey, you opened the door ;o) this just FASCINATES me...
still not doing it

Jen said...

I've now put a link to a youtube video that gives a very tasteful illustration of how this is used. Look at the bottom of the second to last paragraph.

Becca said...

Way to go, Jen! That cup really is fascinating. My solution for saving the planet and my money is to just nurse Adeline for the rest of my life.

Dan and Kristin said...

How interesting! I don't know if I'll ever make the switch, but I applaud you for doing it, and for educating the rest of us!

Emily M. said...

Jen, this cup seems genius! I may have to try it out! Thanks for the "tutorial" and reviews! :)

Stephanie said...

Great post! Plus just think of all the toxins in tampons and pads that you aren't putting on your body now!!! Another great thing about it!

Kjell Crowe said...

would love to give this a shot. Thankfully, I don't have to worry about using tampons or this for a little bit! Yay for pregnancy and nursing!

But for sure, I want to check it out when my period comes back.
How long do you keep it in? Can you tell when you need to empty it out?

Anonymous said...

Ew. Sick! I can't believe you wrote about this!

Haha...just kidding. I think I will try one eventually -- for now I was given a whole lot of "women's things" (that's what I call them, that or "treats") by menopausal relatives :) But props to you!

Nancy said...

I just wish I could get my periods back. I quit nursing well over a month ago and nada. (Not that I find them delightful, but we would like Reese to have a sibling close in age.) The cup doesn't seem too terrible. Does it have a little timer that dings when it's full? J/K. But seriously how often do you find you have to check it? And if you're in a public restroom what do you do cuz u can't rinse it in the toilette, or walk out and rinse it in the sink next to the old lady washing her hands. Can you go running and stuff without it shifting and leaking?

Jen said...

Answers to some questions:
Gravity will pull the cup down as it fills, letting you know it needs to be taken out when you can feel it. My first period I took the cup out and emptied it way more often than I needed to. You'd be surprised how much it can hold, especially on your heavy days.

You can keep it in for 12 hours at a time.

If you're in the restroom, you can either carry a wash with you, or you can reinsert it without washing it, no big deal.

You can wear it even when you're running. It also says that on the site about sleeping, but I had some problems with mine (although it happened during my first period so I might have not inserted it properly).

For more questions, go to the divacup FAQ site:
http://www.divacup.com/en/home/faqs/

ginger said...

I'm glad its working for you. Have some more babies and the decreased menstruation will make it last for much more than 7 years (of course, there are other costs associated with baby making).

Elizabeth said...

I bought the diva cup level one when I was in college in 2007, but used it more after I got married. It has changed my life! It doesn't work well for me at night, so instead I opt for a tampon/pad combo.

I've def. considered how I'm going to teach my daughters to manage their periods, and think this is a good solution. But it may be too big/akward for youngsters.

Jaimie said...

I have to be honest, I was completely grossed out about these, when I first heard about them, but this post was well written and very informative! not sure if I'm convinced yet, but I'll take it in small doses and see how I feel about it :)

Anonymous said...

I am at the end of my collection of "women's things" from menopausal relatives, so I have decided to buy a divacup. Thanks for inspiring me! Oh, but if you've changed your mind about it since you wrote this post, tell me fast :)

Jen said...

Not at all! Go for it :)

Krisanne said...

I bought my first one in 2005, and I'm never going back! Economical and ecological. Love it.