Tuesday, October 4, 2011

forging new ground

Have you ever done anything...unexpected? Have you ever been the first to do something in your family? Nuclear, immediate, extended or human?

This has been on my mind for a few reasons. First, the internship I start next week is overseeing a college preparation program for students from disadvantaged backgrounds. This can mean they qualify for free or reduced lunch, but it can also mean they are the first in their family to ever go to college. Some of these students may be the first in their family to finish high school. Think about that. Doing the different or unexpected can be hard, especially if you're just a kid.

Second, I am doing something a little different. Something I've certainly never done before.
And even though people in my family have gone to college and even gone on to get Master's or PhD's, no one has ever applied to the schools and programs I'm applying to. For some reason, this makes it harder. Just imagine what it must be like for the teenagers I'm helping this Fall!

So it really helps when there are people I can ask for help and advice. To Lindsay and Derrick, thank you for your support!

Have you ever done something unexpected? It could be anything-I'm not just talking school here. What gave you the resolve to follow through?

4 comments:

That-one-Dani-girl said...

I am pretty sure my major qualifies as pretty "unexpected" - haha. It's plenty hard - there's no close friends or family that can really help me out. I get one of two reactions all the time:
1)What the hell are you thinking?
2)That's so cool!

Let's just say the number 2 people and my passion to someday teach ESL to other people and open up better job opportunities for them keeps me going.

Kjell Crowe said...

My unexpected:

going on a mission...I chose to leave the school I was attending and getting a basketball scholarship from to serve God!! Knowing that this would benefit my life and others forever, I chose to make it happen.

I never, ever considered going on a mission until I sat in on a discussion my sophomore year in college. It was amazing, and I knew right then that I had to go

Nancy said...

Does nursing count? Ha. J/K. Although it was a little difficult for me, and neither my Mother or Edward's could give me any advice. I'm excited for you to start your new program Jen!

Anonymous said...

Anytime, lady! Love you!

I've been thinking about this question you asked...have I done anything unexpected? And I've realized that I don't really feel that I have. But of course, the majority of my family would say, yes, definitely. My grandpa always said I was like the "black sheep" and "marched to the beat of a different drummer." I mean, I understand why many people think that I have made a lot of unexpected choices from working with prisoners to marrying Neal, but there is such a feeling of rightness to them that I can't really conceive of how I could have or would have made different choices. They are a reflection of who I am and what I value and so they have not surprised me or seemed groundbreaking. I think that feeling of rightness basically answers your question about what gave me the resolve to follow through -- I have known that when I made the choices they were right and they felt right, and I cling to that in the moments when it is freaking hard and draining and I didn't want to go on. The application process doesn't lend itself to surety, but I think when all is said and done, you will feel a similar sense of rightness in what you choose. Like it is just what is and what is supposed to be. And life is long, so if you don't find the right fit immediately, you can always make a change. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I am completely confident that someone with your passion and drive will find the thing that is right for you and your family.