
If you participated at all in my post about traditions-how to celebrate them or how to make them work for you and your family-get a load of this tradition started by one of my professors.
In my political economy of women class on Wednesday we talked about...drumroll...periods. Can you sense why I freaking love this class? We talked about historical and current views of the menstrual cycle and why it has been viewed as "yucky" or "unclean"; we talked about how little women are trained to know their own bodies and what signs to look for during their menstrual cycles; we talked about what the negative effects of the pill can be and how natural family planning works and there were guys in the room listening all the while. It was amazing.
But the thing we talked about that caught my attention most was how women can be affected by their introduction to their own menstrual cycle. Understandably, there are women who hate their periods. Cramps, messiness, expensive measure to control it; these are all things many women deal with on a monthly basis.
Our professor talked about the importance of coming-of-age rituals. For instance, in my church boys of 12 traditionally become deacons (which allows them to pass the sacrament, collect fast offerings, and visit members in their homes with their fathers; girls are given no such service opportunity). I don't see it this way, but some members of my church (my professor is one of them), view menstruation and reproduction as the female equivalent of deaconhood/priesthood. Members will often celebrate their son's transition as a deacon by giving them a gift, such as a set of scriptures, or throwing them a family party. It is something to be celebrated.
But do many Mormons have an equivalent celebration for girls who have recently menstruated*? No. At least not among the white Mormon families that I ever knew growing up and none that I know now.
My professor decided she wanted her daughter's experience to be different. So when her daughter started her period at age 14, she had a plan. Her daughter's only condition was that her friends not be involved. Okay. Said professor had her daughter think of the women she admired most in life (one of them is a co-professor in this class). Mother and daughter wrote up invitations for a celebration at the house in the daughter's honor and these women were invited to come-the only condition was that they had to bring a gift that symbolized what womanhood meant to them. Mother/professor made her a special necklace. Red velvet cake was served at the party (hahaha!).
I was impressed and motivated to do something similiar for my daughter(s) when the time comes. I don't want my daughter to be ashamed or embarrased by her biology or to view it in other unsavory ways. After all, because of my own period, I was able to receive the greatest gift of my life-her! Any comments? Would you be inclined to do something similiar? If so, how would you change it to accomodate your family?
*There are exceptions to this, notably among Mormons that are Navajo. Some of them celebrate female menstruation with a well-worn and beautiful tradition called Kinaalda. There may be other groups that have similiar traditions, but they are in the minority in the wide spectrum of what is known as Mormon culture.
11 comments:
Coming of age traditions = awesome
BUT
Menstruation is like deaconhood for gils = sexist & wrong
It is like a teen version of motherhood is the opposite of the priesthood. WRONG! Motherhood is the Opposite of Fatherhood. Priesthood is totally different. Deaconhood and Priesthood are sacred but basic biological functions. Maybe learning to shave his face or voice cracking can be the opposite of menstruation, but not deaconhood.
No party ideas off the top of my head, that's not something I'm going to get to celebrate in my house, but I'd love to come to your girly's party someday...I mean I did see her be born, so I think that should get me on the guestlist.
Hear hear!
And you are definitely on the guest list :)
I think this is a great idea!!! My "time" was not enjoyable and I was so embarrassed and ashamed. I completely want to be there for this party!!!!! :)
i think it's awesome. I would totally want to do something like that!!
I like your professor's idea on celebrating the first menstrual cycle. It's true, I always find my period to just be a nuisance, something I look forward to being over with every month. I was just barking the other day, "WHYYY did we have to be created like this?!?!" (I was on my period? yes.) Can't say I'm now magically grateful for my menstrual cycles, but it gives me a better perspective on it.
My mom planned a special coming of age lunch and day just for us to celebrate the occasion. Not that I look forward to my period now but I definitely had a positive introduction to the meaning of the monthly gift. :)
Interesting concept. I've been thinking about this stuff lately, with Izzy turning 9 soon. I definitely want Izzy to not be embarrassed about puberty, especially with me. For Christmas this year I was going to get her the book, "The Care and Keeping of You." It's a book from the American Girl Company. It is a very appropriate and classy book that teaches girls about their changing bodies and how to take care of themselves. Teaching Izzy about puberty will be a new experience for both of us, so I decided to start there.
I remember my mom always telling me that on the cosby show ( I think) that the mom took her daughter out shopping when she started her period and so my mom always wanted to make a celebration of it too! I actually don't remember what we actually did, but I do have positive memories of the time instead of bad ones.
I love the idea of giving the daughter something that symbolizes womanhood though! What a great opportunity to teach and strengthen a young lady!
I didn't get my very irregular cycles till I was 15, so really i was just grateful to have finally started and hopeful that maybe I'd finally get some boobs (which never really did happen till nursing Reese).
I think entering YW at age twelve is a huge reason to celebrate for LDS girls -I know I loved it (and still do!).
While menstruation is precursory to physically being able to have children, I wouldn't relate it to the spiritual privilege of Motherhood. For one, really little girls Lizz-Bits age (can't remember what I'm allowed to call her on here) can have extremely nurturing natures. And when a woman enters menopause the spiritual blessing of Motherhood don't end. And women physically incapable of bearing children can still be great Mothers. While I can understand the gift of Motherhood being compared to the gift of holding the priesthood, I can't see any correlation between the physical aspects.
I was the last one to join the menstruation group out of all of us. And considering I was called "little girl" until that day I arrived I should have gotten a party. ;)
Honestly, I think this is a wonderful tradition that we need and must start in our families. I think it would be fun to have it be all women and have these women share with our daughters what motherhood or womanhood has meant to them. However, I also think it would be cool to include her father and brothers as well. I would love for Jared to be there as well to celebrate her womanhood and share with her what it means to him as well. If she has bothers, and of course this is me assuming that I will have a daughter or daughters, I think I would want her brothers there too. So that they understand the importance of womanhood/motherhood as well and have a deeper respect for it. Like you said we tend to celebrate when young men are giving the Priesthood, so why can't they celebrate when their sister is given the eternal gift of womanhood. Granted, I agree with you I do not believe that motherhood and the priesthood are the same thing or on the same level( can't remember exactly what your professor said)but both should be able too celebrate these exciting stepping stones in becoming the people they desire to be.
Although I did not have party, I am still grateful that mom was mature about the matter and really comforted me when it first happened.And to this day she still reminds me of the beautiful gift I have been given when I complain about the uncalled for pain each month. :)
WOW!! Mt grammar and spelling reverted back to 1st grade. Sorry about that. I was just typing in a rush and did not proof read...lesson learned.
Post a Comment