Tuesday, November 1, 2011

complications of modesty

I have very mixed feelings about modesty talks, in church or in other forums. Certainly there are types of clothing that I wouldn't wear, or encourage my daughter to wear. Certainly some clothing can be appropriate in some venues while being inappropriate in others. Certainly I think people can wear clothing that draws too much attention to the body and not enough to themselves as complete human beings.

But what I hear often is that women in particular should be modest in order to protect men from sexual thoughts, and to protect women from men and themselves. This is rhetoric I try to stay far away from.

First of all, I'm not convinced that men are beasts who can't control their thoughts. I think the majority of men are conditioned by their cultures to see certain things as sexual. Women's breasts, for instance, have been ridiculously hypersexualized in many Western cultures. In other cultures, however, breasts are not sexualized at all. They are seen as tools to feed babies. And what about hair in many Islamic nations? And what about ankles in Victorian England? In short, there is no prescribed notion of what is sexual. We simply learn to interpret what is or is not sexual from our culture.

Strong evidence also suggests that how women dress does not correlate with sexual violence, such as rape or other assaults. Culture is the greatest predictor of rates of violence against women. If a man can rape or assault a woman sexually with little retribution legally or socially, he, or other young boys or men, learn very quickly that this is an acceptable action to take. In some parts of Africa and Afghanistan, a man is absolved legally from raping a woman as long as he offers to marry her afterward (even if she refuses). Even if he doesn't offer marriage, women are so afraid of the social retributions of having been raped that men often get away with it. A culture that implicates a victim as responsible for the crime is a strange one indeed.

Since women's protection from men doesn't correlate with modesty, why do we talk about it as if it does? I become very impatient with rhetoric that indicates this. If for no other reason, I think often "protecting" women's modesty sometimes perpetuates the view that women's bodies are inherently sexual. Women's bodies (and men's bodies for that matter) are not inherently sexual. What they do with their bodies can be sexual. A woman wearing a bikini to a beach, or walking down the street in a short skirt does not indicate sexual behavior. This is very different from porn where women and men are doing blatantly sexual things with their bodies. The qualm I have with modesty talks is that I feel they teach women, and the men who overhear, that women's bodies are sexual. Period.

My question is, when and where does it stop? Burqas are a clear indicator of what can happen when women's bodies are viewed as purely sexual. In her book Reading Lolita in Tehran, Azar Nafisi discusses the wearing of the veil and burqa to some length. The setting is Iran. Khomeini and his supporters have already overthrown the Shah. Khomeini has made the wearing of the veil, then the burqa compulsory. Nafisi hosts a weekly literature class at her home for a number of handpicked students. A student of Nafisi's tells her that one day she and some schoolmates were standing on the sidewalk eating apples. Some guards standing nearby approached and then told the girls they were eating their apples too seductively. What?!

I, like most normal mothers, want to teach my daughter to dress in ways that are appropriate; ways that represent her as a multi-faceted human being with a wide range of characteristics. I want to teach her how to protect herself; to warn her of the dangers of being alone at night or in certain places, of date rape, of drugs and alcohol, and how to be a good judge of character (but even these things, unfortunately, do not stop rape from happening. Only would-be rapists can do that.). I want to teach her to be careful, because even though her body is certainly not to blame, some people out there are just sick perverts who have been conditioned to absolve themselves of all responsiblity.

In Toni Morison's book, The Bluest Eye, Pecola is a poor girl frequently told by people and by her culture that because she is black, she is ugly . More than anything, she wishes for a pair of blue eyes in order to rectify the situation. Then, she believes, she would be beautiful. Her friends, Frieda and Claudia, also black, are aware that the view that blackness equals ugly is a common one, but they have the wonderful gift of knowing that "the Thing to fear" isn't why they don't fit the beauty criteria, it is the Thing that teaches others that blacks are ugly and whites are beautiful. I hope to teach Lissie that it is the same with her body. The Thing to fear is not her body, but the thing that renders all girls' and womens' bodies as purely sexual.

8 comments:

Krisanne said...

I absolutely agree with this. I cringe at any suggestion that women are the "gatekeepers" of men's virtue. As women we should respect our bodies because they are miraculous, faceted vehicles that help immerse us in the sensory world. I reject any teaching that suggests we should respect our bodies because men are relying on us. Just...blech...on so many levels.

Anonymous said...

I find that this is a topic where I differ most sharply from my LDS feminist friends. I've had discussions with many women over the years and I suppose I sometimes find the thinking too dichotomous. I don't think that teaching a woman that dressing modestly can be helpful for young men is the same thing as teaching them that men are beasts and can't control themselves, or that people who wear revealing clothing are asking for sexual violence against them, etc. I'm not disputing that some people present things in those ways, but I feel that I can be more nuanced in my approach. I don't disagree that Western cultures sexualize women, and especially women's breasts in a way that is excessive. But from my perspective on the story of Adam/Eve in the garden and the garments created to hide their nakedness, I feel that there are some aspects of our bodies that are meant to be covered from the majority of people -- for me, then, it is not merely about the culture around me. Of course, it can be a slippery slope to feel that modesty is defined by X and not judge others who define it otherwise, which I try not to do (although I must admit I sometimes get annoyed by what others are wearing in front of my husband).

We've thought a lot about how/what we will teach Addison and we hope to present to her the idea that dressing appropriately is good for many reasons. We don't have a problem with including in those reasons that it can help men to avoid thoughts they would rather not entertain. For me to do otherwise feels like ignoring the culture that the boys/men around her are growing up in. I don't think that is teaching her that she is the guardian of someone else's virtue, but rather that she can help be a force for good.

Anonymous said...

P.S. But, of course, I trust that you will teach Lissie well and that she will be a strong, confident woman like her mama.

Nancy said...

I would be interested to know what Derrick's views on this are since I know you said he worked with counseling people who had addictions such as pornography. I don't think the issue would be addressed as often as it is if people didn't constantly push the boundaries, and personally I most often see women guilty of this (myself included -I should show you the neck high white blouse my Mom got me for Christmas to wear under all my shirts whose necklines i stretched out while nursing ;) It feels good to be admired and unfortunately because our culture is so sensual many girls are trapped into the mindset that this includes physical desire. I know this may offend some of your views, but I think many girls purposely expose/use physical assets to manipulate men. (I'm sure Men are guilty of this as well.) I myself dressed rather trampy at times as a teenager, which is a reflection of insecurities I had then as well as a lack of understanding of my own worth. While "grandma underwear" is definitely not hot, I do find great beauty in modesty.

Kjell Crowe said...

I loved reading this and I completely agree with everything you've said. I've always hated how the church has made it seem that females are at fault for the way men think and for what they do.

Michelle Swindler Jones said...

To the previous poster---I don't know what church you belong to, but my church (LDS) has never made me feel like as a woman, I am responsible for men's chastity by the way I dress. I believe the reason we dress modestly and are encouraged to dress modestly is because it is a protection against the WRONG kind of attention; and even more importantly, we are encouraged to dress modestly to prove that we value our bodies in the highest regard because we know that we are more than physical creatures. (and this is coming from a Mormon who has struggled with modesty her entire life)

I do know that most middle eastern cultures put 100% responsibility of men's thoughts and illicit sexual responses on a woman's manner of dress and behavior. So sad.

Great article Jen!

Jen said...

Thanks, Michelle. Have you really never heard this kind of rhetoric in church? I am envious and amazed. I've heard it more times than I can keep track of, especially in young womens and relief society. For serious.

Hope things are going well for your exciting move!

Christa said...

Your final paragraph was beautiful. I'm really taken with how pointedly you separate sexual functions from sexual being (i.e. bodies are just that; they're not inherently sexual). Lots of times the modesty rhetoric is an issue of slippery slopes; I doubt many leaders would actually outright say that women are responsible for men's less-than-perfect thoughts. But that implication is almost always there. And that's why until a few years I would react to cleavage with disgust and shame and anxiety ("Doesn't she know how to put those things AWAY?"). I'd learned to see breasts as a dangerous temptation to men. Minus the sexual attraction, I was seeing the female body through male eyes (and pretty Mormon male eyes at that).

My husband really doesn't feel like immodesty will irrevocably lead him down a nasty mental path. I think that is in large part due to growing up in a fairly liberal place (Portland) where immodesty (the LDS definition, anyway) was part for the course, and having tons of close girl friends who were people first, bodies second. I'm sure they were immodest at times, but they were already humanized. I wish more people felt free to see bodies the way I think he does, as a house for your spirit and not a site of temptation.

But since it's not a perfect world... I do feel that we've all got an influence on others, and in that sense I don't mind the idea that modesty can help out the fellas as long as that reason is placed properly in the hierarchy of respecting your body as a gift from God, respecting yourself, and knowing your situation (running shorts in the marathon vs. business suit at the office, etc.). I just NEVER want my daughters, sisters, friends to see their bodies as potential pornography and develop all the fearful and shameful attitudes about their bodies that may stem from that approach. Like you pointed out, insisting on modesty to protect sexuality often just hyper-focuses on sexual potential of bodies until every other function is nearly forgotten. So excuse me now while I go use my body to type, think, walk, drive, read, pray, and sleep. =)